The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Shedding out her trace clip (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/shedding-out-her-trace-clip-117179/)

Hoofprints in the Sand 03-21-2012 12:57 PM

Shedding out her trace clip

So last fall we did the standard trace clip on my mare that we normally do, to help her with being worked all winter long. Now with all this unseasonably warm weather and rain, there's lots of MUD. To deal with that, a friend and I clipped my mare's legs short, but only from the bottom to just above her kness where it goes from black to cream (she's a buckskin). We figured the hair on her legs that is now very short will grow back in with her summer coat and it'll all blend...but what do you guys think? Think we should just go ahead and shave the rest of her legs as well? Our concern was that the top of her legs where the trace clip ends and has been allowed to grow out all winter might look funny if we shaved her legs all the way up and that hair was a little shorter.

Here's a pic of her BEFORE we shaved her legs...
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...84762463_n.jpg

I don't have an "after" yet with the 1/2 legs clipped but I'll get one when I go to the barn later on tonight.

She's shedding out a LOT which is good because I probably won't need to bother body clipping her then. But I just don't want to have shaved half of each leg and then have her shed out the top part differently than what we shaved off the bottom part...does that make sense?

~*~anebel~*~ 03-21-2012 01:14 PM

I always have the bottom part of my horses' legs clipped, from the hock and knee down. I'll clip about once a month to keep the legs looking clean for shows. You can faintly see the clipped/un-clipped line on my horse in my profile pic.
It shouldn't be an issue if you blended the lines in around the knees and hocks, it will look "normal" in a few weeks or months. Even if you left a hard edge, the hair will grow back on the lower legs in short order (max 2 mos). If you clip her body or upper legs after winter solstice, she will have lines. At this point in the year it's either clip her entire body head to toe, or just leave it and wait for her to shed out.

Good luck!

Hoofprints in the Sand 03-21-2012 01:17 PM

Thanks for the tip!!! That makes me feel better, I'll just let her shed the rest of the way out then and we'll be good, my friend who chipped her did a fabulous job blending it :-)

Hoofprints in the Sand 03-22-2012 07:43 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Ok here's some "after" shots...the top of her front legs are already starting to shed out and blend which is nice! The back legs are where you can really see the old trace clip line towards the top.

Attachment 92255

Attachment 92256

Attachment 92257

Attachment 92258

Attachment 92259

Attachment 92260