The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Have you ever had one of those days? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/have-you-ever-had-one-those-117216/)

Easter 03-21-2012 07:10 PM

Have you ever had one of those days?

I did today. I think I was apprehensive the moment I hoped on, because I was trying her with spurs, it being only the second time. She collected nicely, and moved with a nice headset. We fell apart loping though. She went way too fast, and I sat in and asked her to go slower. She ignored me. I stopped her, schooled a bit more, and tried again. I used the spur lightly to ask her to make our circle slightly smaller. She bucked. At this point I was agitated and started being a little heavier on the reins. (I have very soft hands) When she refused to listen/slow, I took to JERKING. Yes. Jerking pretty hard. Many years of formal training, and good equitation, and I resorted to JERKING. My mare is fairly well trained, and we generally get along very nicely. I know I haven't- one day isn't going to do it, but I almost feel terrified I have ruined her. I can't believe I resorted to that. We ended the ride with a nice lope, and I checked her mouth and all is well. I still feel horrible. I'm not that kind of rider. I should have controlled my anger, and I didn't. I'm beating myself up over this. Have you ever had a day like this?

jennyandjesse 03-21-2012 07:56 PM

YES! Been there, done that to the first horse I ever rode. I had him for many many good years.

sierrams1123 03-21-2012 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You are not alone, I promise.

I have had my mare since 2008 and we have had or little tiffs along the way but we really click and get along great....she has def made me spoiled so much so I do not care to really ride anything other then her and when I do I have high standards.
Anyways....at shows I would get really ill when "she" would not do her best or when I thought "she" was not responding to me and I would work her pretty hard....now I have learned it is not her that is not doing her best and it is not her not responding to me....it was ME. I have learned a lot and come a long way since those days and now I rethink everything before jumping to think what went wrong was her fault and most of the time it is my errors that cause her to make errors. I now just take a deep breath and promise to do better next time....and trust me I had a good bit of those kind of days and my mare is fine....I was not a snatcher, never have been, but I did some things that were not called for....do not beat yourself up about it though, just learn and do it different next time.

Good luck :)

and remember......

Easter 03-21-2012 10:27 PM

Thanks. I just feel guilty for being rough on my horse who always trys her heart out for me. Even when she DOES have her moments. I am working with her right now. I use to spurs to reinforce my aids- not for speed. I ride her mostly with my legs and sometimes she is slow to respond or she tries to ignore. When I apply pressure as I normally would to ask her to turn (using the spurs lightly, which I hoped would quicken her response) she gets rather grouchy and does a small buck. This is only at the lope. I am continuing to work with her as it is only our second time. Any ideas on how get her to accept my leg? She also tends to speed up. I checked to make sure I am not accidentally jabbing her with the spurs. I assume its because she is off balance. Any ideas on how to help that? Perhaps slow us down? I feel horrible.

ETA: Yes, I know a 'half-halt' is a good technique for getting her more balanced. However, I don't really understand the concept or application for it. Anyone care to elaborate? She also sometimes pulls and rushes her trot, but the lope is mostly our problem.

sierrams1123 03-22-2012 06:53 PM

how old is this horse?
how much training has she had?
what kind of training?
by your or a pro trainer?
how much training have you had?
what are you currently riding her in? (bit)

MyBoyPuck 03-22-2012 10:05 PM

You are human. We all do things that we know we probably should not have. You realize it was the wrong way to go which means you have a conscience. It's water under the bridge.

aqharyder 03-24-2012 02:09 PM

I've been there too. We lose our cool, it happens, but try to turn it into a positive. What I mean by that is don't beat yourself up, but keep it in the back of your mind and the next time you get frustrated just remember how you felt when you did lose your cool. It worked for me, and I just ended up quitting that lesson for that day and either took my horse out for a short trail ride or just walked her around.

For slowing the lope, I do a lot of circling, using pressure with my calves to keep her rounded but slow. I then put her back on the rail and if she speeds up again I do it again. I will only use a small portion of the arena when I'm on the rail when I'm working on this. I'm not familiar with the half halt. Is that when you break down to a jog for a couple of beats and then go back into lope?

Foxhunter 03-24-2012 04:39 PM

Heck, if you think that was a bad day try one of mine for size!

xiamsvetlanax 03-24-2012 07:52 PM

Had one two weeks ago! Was riding one horse for 2 weeks..who's very "all leg" kinda guy, but can spur stop. Well, my instructor put me on Katie, little 9 yo QH that's not 15 hands high..and i tried to do the spur stop.. for an hour, i would squeeze and get more of a canter, literally she was running away from me.. :( not til the end did i realize, after much jerking :( how i was treating her, and how VERY frustrated i was too.. i felt bad.. like MyBoyPuck said.. we're only human.

The horses forgive us. :)

Black Beauty 94 04-08-2012 07:45 PM

Yes! Sometimes I just get annoyed being on my gelding!