The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Who loves a horse that is a ... jerk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/who-loves-horse-jerk-117225/)

rottenweiler 03-21-2012 08:12 PM

Who loves a horse that is a ... jerk

Ok so I started going out to this rescue place and I immediately fell in love with this tb that was there. He has the sweetest eye and was SO loving and kind. Now he's putting some weight on and feeling better and now he's starting to act like a jerk. He tries to bite at me (did once on my back), he pins his ears back and grinds his teeth when he gets mad about something, he has tried to kick forward at me with his hind legs when I reached under him for the girth...aaannnndddd...he pins his ears and makes an ugly face when I try to get him to move forward. Now, all that being said, I will say he's not 100% and I'm the only one that rides him and that is MAYBE once a week - bc his feet still aren't wonderful and he still has weight to put on. I used to think that I needed the PERFECT horse and anything less would be unacceptable...but the more I'm around horse people and see their horses 'quirks' they put up with, I'm thinking that there is probably a lot of you out there. So tell me your story and what your horse does, what your horse DID and you worked through...

Lexiie 03-21-2012 08:19 PM

I ride a TB at my barn and he's not really aggressive, just really pushy and disrespectful. He improves when he's worked with, but I don't know any real jerky horses.
I hope you can work something out with your horsey!

TimberRidgeRanch 03-21-2012 08:22 PM

I dont like it when my stud SAM throws his toy tire at me he does this alot and usually when I am cleaning his water trough. He loves to play but something about a car tire coming at me isnt all that fun. So I usually take it away for an hour and give him a Xlarge dog toy those ropes with 2 tennis balls on each side and he loves to bounce the ball on one end off his forehead.
That and when my horses think its a riot to see my face go blue when they step on my foot and dont move.

RunJumpRide 03-21-2012 08:36 PM

Specs bucks, he bolts, he spooks, he rears, he's stubborn, he makes me very angry and frustrated sometimes, he is disobedient 80% of the time, but still the good that I see in him outweighs the bad, and that makes it really hard not to love him ;). He's got a few bad things about him, but nobody's perfect, and there's never a dull moment with him!! :-) Wouldn't trade him for the world. <3
Star? Well, she's a Shetland AND a mare. :shock: What else can I say? :-P Jk she's the sweetest pony ever.

TimWhit91 03-21-2012 08:50 PM

Oh, my first horse, Missy, Was one of those horses. You try to catch her and she lets you get close then takes off. Then she will just run circles around you, like you are lunging her, super close. You can tell she is having the best time. Once you finally do catch her, she is very pushy, she kicks when being girthed, she bites when you get on, she bucks when you are riding, she rears when she doesn't want to stop. She is also the ugliest little thing I have ever seen and rubs her mane and tail off every summer. Now don't get me wrong, she is the most fun horse to ride, she doesn't buck hard, she never makes contact when she kicks, she uses her lips to bite, she doesn't go up real high when she rears...and after 15 years with her, I can read her like a book and know what she is going to do and when she is going to do it. And she is a perfect angel for people who don't know how to ride. My little sister can go out and love on her, she can ride her without the attitude, but anyone who knows how to ride, she IS going to test you. Brat. But she's with us till she passes on. And she is a 21 year old arab, will probably be with us awhile.

rottenweiler 03-21-2012 09:11 PM

Ok that makes me feel better :-) it also is starting to look like 'my' tb is possessive of me. The time I got but, I was in the pasture playing with him. Everything was fine then another horse came over to see me. I turned to go the other direction and 'my' horse bit me on the back and knocked me down. The eye witness to the whole thing said the bite was not intended for me it was directed towards the other horse. Last week I brought my hubby out to see him and he was being such a JERK the horse not my hubby. He was grinding his teeth, pinning his ears etc. I wasn't even DOING anything I just gave him a quick bath. Now today he was good. I went and got him, quickly brushed him, tacked him up and lunged him for a bit no problems. Brought him back in untracked him and gave him a bath, no problems. Brought him back and into the cross ties, he was fine until someone else went to walk by and he pinned his ears and started to back up. I gave him a quick tug on the one cross tie and said 'hey! Naah' and he stopped
Posted via Mobile Device

Tonipony 03-21-2012 09:16 PM

I have one of those, Oreo is a gaited pony that I got as a yearling from a friend who passed away. I have rode her all over the country, yet she has issues. If you try to take her out alone, you are taking your life in your hands, she will buck, bolt, spin and spook at everything. If you take her for a ride with a group and the other horses get a little ahead, she gets a hump as big as a camel in her back and you better be ready. Riding with just one or two others and you may have a good ride, but she will always look for something to spook from. I have had some of the wildest rides that I ever managed to stay on with her in some of the most beautiful places in the country. I have a few good ones to ride now, so Oreo is a pasture pet at 14 years old. I will never sell her because no one else would put up with her and I do not want her to ever be abused.

kiwi79 03-22-2012 03:17 AM

My new horse Blue is a funny one. He has only been here for a few weeks so we are still very much getting to know each other but he's definitely not the smoochy type. He's hard to catch and a bit spooky when you are in the paddock near him. Completely different horse once tied up or under saddle, no spook at all. I dont mind though, he is happy in the paddock to be left alone and I dont feel bad if I am say mucking out and he is bugging me for attention like some horses will do. He never follows me around the paddock (unless I have food!). I can getting all the loves from my mini even if she is a naughty little so and so at the best of times!

sommsama09 03-22-2012 05:42 AM

Well i LOVE the Alpha Mare, who is a chestnut QH mare and is always getting in trouble for reaching over the fence, and generally being miss Chestnut Hothead (lol... its a colour, not a attitude :lol:) So funny because her owner hates TBS (understand not all are like this, as i work with some) and Chestnuts (because of attitude :lol: ... mhm? ) ...and i found out Jess has a fir bit of TB breeding..and as mentioned is Chestnut LOL

Love mah Jessy!

<<< Thats me and her there :)

RaiRaiNY 03-22-2012 07:52 AM

Snazzy is a grump until she really gets to know you. Until then, she won't like her face touched, doesn't like hugs or kisses, and will pin her ears while being groomed or tacked. She also will try to bite if you go into her stall when she's eating.

However, after a bond is formed, most of these behaviors disappear and she becomes a lovable goofball. She still can be cinchy, but we're working on that and she's getting better all the time.

Silly horse! I love her more than anything.