The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Helmets (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/helmets-117346/)

Cali 03-22-2012 10:55 PM

Helmets

I am fed up with looking for helmets. I can't seem to find one that doesn't look ridiculous. The one I have now looks more like it sits on top of my head than anything, even though it does fit properly. I have seen people that don't look like idiots in helmets, so what brand? Should I just cut off the top of my head? :-P

equiniphile 03-22-2012 10:56 PM

What kind of riding do you do? I would recommend either an IRH or a Charles Owen. I have the IRH ATH and love it, and I know several people with COs that like them

Cali 03-22-2012 10:57 PM

I dabble in just about everything but mostly trails and Dressage, if I jump its never high. I'll check those out, thank you!

kitten_Val 03-23-2012 09:43 AM

I have Troxel and frankly don't find it to look ridiculous. Heck, I don't care how it looks at all as long as it keeps my head covered. As always - get what fits your head. :wink:

dee 03-23-2012 10:47 AM

Daughter and I both have Troxel's. Although they have specific sizes, there is a lot of adjustment that can be done to adjust the fit in each size. Mine doesn't look too bad. I never wore a helmet in my younger days. Probably wouldn't be wearing one now if daughter hadn't become fast friends with a lady that always rides in a helmet, and won't let anyone ride her horses without one. Now daughter is on the helmet bandwagon, so I wear one to make her happy.

I do know that my helmet isn't nearly as hot as I was afraid it was, which is a big relief!

themacpack 03-23-2012 12:07 PM

I've never liked the feel or look of a troxel on my head but am in love with my daughters new ovation and have ordered myself one now.

Speed Racer 03-23-2012 12:14 PM

I just got a new Tipperary. Love it! :D

If you're into showing, you'll need a show helmet. If you're not, there's no reason to buy the more expensive helmets. The less expensive helmets have the same safety properties as the high dollar ones, and the high dollar ones need to be replaced just as often as the less expensive ones. :wink:

Speed Racer 03-23-2012 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my Tipperary. I got the Sportage model in carbon gray. They run anywhere from $60-$70. Not very expensive, as good helmets go. :D

loveduffy 03-23-2012 12:56 PM

I use troxels for trail riding and i do not care what people think about me wearing a helmet

tinyliny 03-23-2012 01:42 PM

i use the one Speed uses, and I love it , too. It does make me look ridiculous, but then I can't see myself when riding, so I dont' care.