The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Clinton Anderson.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/clinton-anderson-117359/)

horselover21 03-22-2012 11:42 PM

Clinton Anderson..

What's everyone's opinion on Clinton Anderson? I'm looking for a method to start training and I really seem to like him. Is it worth getting his training DVDs?
Posted via Mobile Device

BlueSpark 03-22-2012 11:46 PM

I like him. I hate the "buy this to be able to do the excercise" thing that him and a few other trainers do, although he isn't as bad as some others. He has a book out I own I really like. I like how he teaches respect really well.

Ian McDonald 03-22-2012 11:47 PM

Join Giddyupflix, rent a few. See if they grab ya. That's what I do. I personally believe that if a person is going to follow a trainer, it should be one whose horses look something like they'd like their own horse(s) to look. Clinton's horses are certainly broke, though he really tends to work up a big sweat (on himself and the horse) in the process. Maybe moreso than is really necessary, imo. Though the end result is still a broke horse so that's hard to say anything against.

robohog 03-22-2012 11:48 PM

My wife thinks "he's hot" I hate him.:twisted:

sporthorsegirl 03-23-2012 12:52 AM

I think he's a great trainer, especially when it comes to groundwork. I'm going to the walkabout tour in august :) If you don't want to splurge on the dvd's (neither do I) you can go on youtube and see other people using his methods. AmigoAndPar's channel is really good :) It shows you how to teach your horse to lunge, yielding their hindquarters, etc. I know some people say he overworks his horses, but you have to know your horse. It depends on their fitness level and how much you are willing to work them without overworking them.

tinyliny 03-23-2012 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian McDonald (Post 1420335)
Join Giddyupflix, rent a few. See if they grab ya. That's what I do. I personally believe that if a person is going to follow a trainer, it should be one whose horses look something like they'd like their own horse(s) to look. Clinton's horses are certainly broke, though he really tends to work up a big sweat (on himself and the horse) in the process. Maybe moreso than is really necessary, imo. Though the end result is still a broke horse so that's hard to say anything against.

I agree with this^. For me, watching CA I get the feeling he is very aggressive and does not have near the "feel" that many of the lesser known NH trainers show. But, he does get a broke horse, for sure.

cowboy bowhunter 03-23-2012 09:13 AM

Im not a fan of his methods. I like chris cox, ken mcnabb, and aaron rolstan.

chandra1313 03-23-2012 09:22 AM

I like him, he makes the process easy to understand. The dvds are expensive, I borrowed from a friend but I was going to signup for a website that lets you rent his dvds I like catching his shows on tv he has a very dry wit and reminds me of myself when I'm riding my horse I usually kind of talk for my horse like when we pass up our driveway because she tried to trot all the way home and I talk for her "what there's our home, what's going on, have you lost your mind, geez this woman can't even find her way home" lol it makes the ride fun for me lol

Jacksmama 03-23-2012 09:30 AM

IMO his ground training methods are excellent. I have learned a lot from him. However, I am not crazy about his training undersaddle. I do also like Chris Cox, something that drives me crazy about the dvd's is that they cut out whenever the trainer has a problem, you don't get to see how they solve it. I watched Chris Cox working a horse through crossing water and get in over his head, literally. He hit a drop off he was NOT expecting and you could see that he felt like a total toolshed but they showed the entire thing, the look on his face was priceless!

flytobecat 03-23-2012 10:17 AM

I think CA methods are solid, and he is probably the easiest of the trainers I've watched to understand. We went to his walk about tour and have a set of his DVD's. He is way more entertaining to watch than the others, but he can get a little heavy handed, and really pushes the marketing.