The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Pony Racing. Would like some help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/pony-racing-would-like-some-help-117364/)

Mimi loves Horses 03-23-2012 12:19 AM

Pony Racing. Would like some help!

My daughter is an very good rider. She would really like to try pony racing. She has a 13.2H pony. How would we go about this? Is it very costly? I don't know anything at all about pony racing. We are Nj.
Thank you

maura 03-23-2012 07:20 AM

The only pony racing I'm aware of is at some steeplechase meets they have pony races on the flat before the main over fences races.

I know that the Essex Hunt used to have pony races at the Far Hills Race Meeting at Moorland Farms, you might try looking into that.

You might also see if there are any other steeplechase meets that offer pony racing. Check the Chronicle of the Horse website under steeplechasing, that may get you started in the right direction.

If your daughter is serious about this, the pony needs to be conditioned like a racehorse, which means galloping 1 - 1 1/2 miles 6 days a week a minimum of 60 days before the race, 90 is better. I'll also warn you that the pony races at steeplechase meets are pretty competitive, especially the large pony division. It's dominated by steeplechase trainer's and rider's children, who have conditioned their ponies alongside the racehorses. And sometimes the "ponies" are TB racehorses that happen to fall under the height limit.

I hope someone else on the board will have more info.

palominolover 03-23-2012 07:44 PM

The only pony racing I'm aware of is Shetland pony racing. Is that what she wants to get into?

RunJumpRide 03-25-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palominolover (Post 1421399)
The only pony racing I'm aware of is Shetland pony racing. Is that what she wants to get into?

Haha me too! Its really fun! I've done it once.

palominolover 03-26-2012 01:31 PM

I would think it would be fun. I've only watched it though :P. Those ponies actually have fairly impressive speed and agility.

equiniphile 04-09-2012 05:16 PM

Do you and your mom share this account? Just a bit confused, as you posted about your mother in another thread and you're posting about your daughter here.

QHriderKE 04-09-2012 06:12 PM

Oh boy. Maybe she's possessed. D:

CLaPorte432 04-09-2012 06:49 PM

893 Attachment(s)
It's the shrinking and growing horse/pony! First it's 13.3, then 15.0, then 14.3 and now 13.2. :shock:

barrelbeginner 04-13-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 (Post 1446045)
It's the shrinking and growing horse/pony! First it's 13.3, then 15.0, then 14.3 and now 13.2. :shock:

haha that horse/pony is on something growing hay.. i need some of that for my horse.. or maybe its shrinking.. both...?? maybe he had fluffyer withers one day // or magic

Foxhunter 04-13-2012 05:22 PM

I know nothing about Pony Racing in the US but would like to say that I have been involved in the jump racing in the UK for many years and even when top horses are getting fit for a long race, like the Grand National there is absolutely no way that they are galloped for six days a week! If you did this then the horse would break down in a short time.

Generally a horse would walk/trot on a Monday, canter Tuesday - this is not a slow canter but one of a good pace, for at least a mile, probably 1.5 miles. Wednesdays, canter for 1 mile with a 1/2 mile gallop. Thursdays easy walking out. Friday as Tuesday Saturday as Wednesday, Sunday rest day.

A horse competing in a distance race would be cantering for 2 - 3 miles once a week.

This is the routine which most adhere to in the UK, it will vary if the horse has a race coming up in that it will be given a pipe opener the day before the race.