The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Big semi truck trailer 4 horse transport. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/big-semi-truck-trailer-4-horse-117371/)

Singh559 03-23-2012 02:04 AM

Big semi truck trailer 4 horse transport.

Would a huge 53' semi truck trailer be appropriate for transporting a horse across long distances given a temporary and sturdy enclosure/box is made for the horse?

Hopefully this question doesn't bring this reaction among readers. : > :shock:

lol

COWCHICK77 03-23-2012 09:03 AM

:shock: LOL
Ok, I'll bite....do you mind if I ask why?

In a dry van I imagine ventilation would be a big issue.

Singh559 03-23-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COWCHICK77 (Post 1420563)
:shock: LOL
Ok, I'll bite....do you mind if I ask why?

In a dry van I imagine ventilation would be a big issue.

Would probably be able to transport a horse if we bought it on the east coast ourselves as we have a trucking business. Would basically be free and fuel costs covered by the load.

The only problem is getting a dry (non produce so the reefer doesn't need to be turned on) load which isn't a problem. I'm sure the reefer's cooler can be turned off and just the fan can blow fresh air inside.

Not sure though lol, was just thinking of options as most of the breed i'm looking for is either on the east coast or outside of the country (I'm from the west coast).

COWCHICK77 03-23-2012 02:27 PM

Yes a reefer can be turned off and just have the fan as far as I know.

But if you got a load then you would have to load the horse in the front and the cargo in the back next to the doors. Otherwise you have to unload the horse before you unload. Then how long will it take your driver to make it cross country, what about feeding and water?

I think I would spend the money on a shipper rather then spend the hassle converting a reefer into a horse stall and worrying about delivering a load on top of that.