The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Needs Some input on boots for horses (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/needs-some-input-boots-horses-117384/)

dirtroadangel 03-23-2012 09:42 AM

Needs Some input on boots for horses

My Gus needs some sort of boots to trail ride in.
There are so many different ones I tried to find horz boots but can't. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
His feet tap into eavh other while moving I duct taped them yesterday and he went so much better with no stumbling.
Thanks in advance for your response.
Posted via Mobile Device

yadlim 03-23-2012 04:10 PM

I used Boa boots for a summer... but gave up and went back to shoes. The boots were just too hard to put on and left rub marks on his heals.

calicokatt 03-23-2012 04:14 PM

Different boots work well for different hoof shapes, and different conformations. I find that boas work very well on a horse with a VERY upright hoof and pastern (great for club feet). Old mac's work well on your run of the mill hoof, but don't hold up well for very long rides. My favorites were the easy boot glove, but they don't work on an oval hoof. Most important thing with any boot is to take your measurements and be sure that the hoof fits into the measurement range they give, if not, you may need to look at a different style of boot...
Kathy

spirit88 03-23-2012 05:23 PM

I heard easy boot epics are good iv never used them myself though i decided to go with shoes alot easier. We ride our horse hard and over rough ground just did shoes two weeks ago and there already wearing out.My farrier puts on the heavy steel shoes with in six weeks there trashed. Iv also heard the cavello boots are good too never have used them either.Just going on what freinds have said so take for what its worth.

MyBoyPuck 03-23-2012 06:05 PM

I use Renegades. They don't come far enough up the hoof to cause rubs. They do use a wire tension system which can be a pain, but like the boots overall.

PaintHorseMares 03-23-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calicokatt (Post 1421176)
Different boots work well for different hoof shapes, and different conformations. I find that boas work very well on a horse with a VERY upright hoof and pastern (great for club feet). Old mac's work well on your run of the mill hoof, but don't hold up well for very long rides. My favorites were the easy boot glove, but they don't work on an oval hoof. Most important thing with any boot is to take your measurements and be sure that the hoof fits into the measurement range they give, if not, you may need to look at a different style of boot...
Kathy

Agreed...you'll save yourself a lot of looking by measuring first and then finding the make/models that will fit. Some horses (like our Angel with very round hooves) will not fit well with any of the popular boots.

loosie 03-23-2012 07:12 PM

Hi,

Providing more info & pics may help give you a better idea of what may or may not be appropriate. Eg how much/what sort of riding/trails you do? Why do you think your horse overreaches/forges?(hits front feet with backs) This could be due to fitness or body issues, but it is frequently due to hoof capsule distortion, which can usually be fixed, or at least greatly improved with well balanced trimming. I don't get what you did with duct tape & how it helped. Never heard of 'Horz' brand boots, tho there is a horse supplies retailer in Australia called 'HorzPro Direct'.

There are some factors that make certain boot designs more or less suitable - eg. Boas for upright hooves(or fused articular ringbone), low profile(Epics, Gloves, Renegades...) for horses that do more than about 25km per ride/week, to avoid possibility of rubbing. Odd size hooves are another factor, as many boots only come in pairs. Ease of fitting & putting on/off may be a big factor too & boots such as Old Macs, Easyboot Trails & the brand new Easyboot 'Back Country' are very user friendly.

But most importantly, the boot that best fits your horse is the best choice. The vast majority of problems people have with boots is because they don't fit the horse well. Therefore, it's important to measure feet for boots straight after a good trim & keep feet well maintained - don't allow them to get too overgrown between trims. If your horse's hooves are distorted in any way or you're unsure, I'd advise you to enlist the help of a good professional experienced in boot fitting, to ensure you don't make the wrong choice.

Whether or not you choose any of the Easycare range, you'll find some good info on their site on why/how to choose the most appropriate boots for your horse & situation. Ringing/emailing Easycare is helpful too, as they can tell you which one(s) they'd advise & why.

loosie 03-23-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spirit88 (Post 1421250)
We ride our horse hard and over rough ground just did shoes two weeks ago and there already wearing out.

There's one reason to consider rubber over steel - being yielding, they tend to wear a lot better.

dirtroadangel 03-27-2012 02:19 PM

Thank You do much. I found the duct tape helped because he still has deepseparation up the middle of the frog. He is a bit flat footed so I thought thst the area was tender.
After having the 1 chiropractic adjustment his front right doesnt seems to hit the front left anymore which was determined by greasing one side snd seeing if it was trsnsfered to other foot.
The wear I saw on his left hoof my farrier says is uncommon they usually hit above the hoof so the hoof attrition was from an old injury.
He is doing well but boy does his feet fly every which way when we are going.
Thanks You Loosie Sorry I am getting to you a lil late to you.
I mastered photo bucket but still my tablet tells me I need wifi connect.
BTW Macho is doing good so full of p nd vinegar.
I think I' v become a lil paranoid expecting problems.
I want to capture Gus' s gait as well as his humming for the internet. It's priceless.
Happy Trails always
Macho`s 4ever Mama
Posted via Mobile Device

dirtroadangel 03-27-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calicokatt (Post 1421176)
Kathy

Thank you maubr that's domething I can get for Macho
Posted via Mobile Device