The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   A Reminder To Wear Your Boots! ~Slightly Graphic~ (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/reminder-wear-your-boots-%7Eslightly-graphic%7E-117402/)

Phantomcolt18 03-23-2012 12:48 PM

A Reminder To Wear Your Boots! ~Slightly Graphic~

This was shared on my FB page and I thought I'd give it a share here.

"This is a picture from last year of a girl that was stepped on by a horse.
I have noticed as the weather is warming up that some of us aren't wearing shoes or boots. Sandals and flip flops or barefoot may feel better but you are taking a big chance. Our #1 Rule is - We don't get hurt. Please wear proper shoes or boots to protect your feet!"

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...58130288_n.jpg

That just looks incredibly painful.

kevinshorses 03-23-2012 12:59 PM

I don't allow anyone around my horses in sandals or barefoot. At least she got to show the doctors her pretty toenails.

tinyliny 03-23-2012 01:03 PM

I get that sick to my stomach feeling just looking at that. I've been stepped on with shoes on my feet and it hurts so bad, I can't imagine going barefoot and having a horse do that to me.

MicKey73 03-23-2012 01:20 PM

Wow. I ditto tinyliny...makes me ill to look at that. Thanks for the reminder, it's starting to get hot here and I'm sure every time I get the urge to wear flipflops, I'll think of this photo. Poor girl.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kayella 03-23-2012 01:27 PM

Her horse was possibly shod? I've been stepped on by my horses barefoot before, but never got a cut. I've only had maybe a small bruise from them stepping on me. But that looks so painful :/

Adam 03-23-2012 01:27 PM

Thats gonna leave a mark.....

Country Woman 03-23-2012 01:33 PM

that looks very painful ouch
it just goes to show you that you have to wear proper footwear
around horses and any large animals

Endiku 03-23-2012 01:47 PM

Ouch! Now thats a cut O_o

Dreamcatcher Arabians 03-23-2012 01:48 PM

An unshod horse can do that kind of damage. I was stepped on back in 2009, and yes, I was wearing boots. My mare was unshod and stepped back onto my foot. When I screamed, she sat back and pivoted and got off of me. My foot and leg swelled to HUGE proportions and my boot had to be cut off. Because of my boot, she didn't cut the skin, but because it was such a severe crush injury, I ended up with compartment syndrome in my left foot and leg and almost lost my foot. I wasn't able to bear any weight or put on a shoe for over 6 months and it was almost a year before I could stand even a lace up boot on that foot.

I have had multiple surgeries since then, and have permanent swelling in that foot and can no longer wear certain kinds of shoes because I can't get in past the swelling in my foot. I have pretty much constant pain in my foot, I lost motion and feeling in 3 toes. I can still ride, but I can't stand or walk for long periods without my foot hurting A LOT.

So, moral of the story, wear your boots but more important pay attention to where your feet and your horse's feet are because even with a heavy leather boot on you can still end up with severe damage.

smrobs 03-23-2012 02:04 PM

Yikes, I bet she loosed a string of curse words when that happened.