The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   My horse is confusing me! Help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/my-horse-confusing-me-help-117414/)

kmesquivel 03-23-2012 02:04 PM

My horse is confusing me! Help!

so i bought this horse about 2 wks ago. he is a TWH. very hot. his teeth need to be done and so since he had a problem stopping I changed his bit to a hackamore. He does better in a hackamore and he stops but after i ask him to stop several times. And when i do ill give a light cue and pull back gently and he'll throw his head up high! and keep going. I thought since i changed his bit he would listen more but not really. Because his teeth need to be done is he still in pain because of the hackamore? I don't understand. I rode him bareback and he seems to be gaited a lot smoother. but he is still so high energy. Also, when i give him slack he walks fast then when I pull back so hes on a tight rein he starts cantering. and when i tell him to slow down he throws his head up and keeps walking. what can I do to retrain him to stop?

HorsesAreMyPassion 03-23-2012 02:13 PM

I think it's a combination of bad training, maybe he is naturally a little "hot" or getting too much feed and not enough exercise, and pain/habit formed from remembering pain, you also seriously need to consider your skills as a rider/handler.

HorsesAreMyPassion 03-23-2012 02:16 PM

I really honestly think the best thing to do for both you and your horse is to find a trainer who will be able to help you both.

attackships 03-23-2012 02:22 PM

ia it sounds like you could both use some training to work together. The behavior sounds pretty typical of a horse with holes in it's training.

How bad are the teeth? If they are truly long and sharp he's going to detest any pressure on his face.

kmesquivel 03-23-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by attackships (Post 1421001)
ia it sounds like you could both use some training to work together. The behavior sounds pretty typical of a horse with holes in it's training.

How bad are the teeth? If they are truly long and sharp he's going to detest any pressure on his face.

-idk how bad they are. I know the vet said they are sharp and sometimes when hes just standing in his stall he opens his mouth and does weird things with his mouth. Maybe that could be pain, im not sure but he's getting them done when i get my next pay day i just thought that a hack would suffice till he got them done.he doesnt like pressure on the face. or in his mouth. im confused. Hes 18 so how did his previous owners stop this horse!? it makes me doubt my ability bc ive done every thing i know about stopping he just wont listen ive tried one rein stops, sitting deep, saying whoa, pulling back. he just tosses his head and keeps going.

themacpack 03-23-2012 04:29 PM

I,m with HAMP, both of you need the assistance of someone who can be there, hands on, and sort out exactly what is going on and how to work through it.

themacpack 03-23-2012 04:32 PM

Also, simply switching to a hack does not eliminate all mouth/facial pain from a horse suffering the effects of teeth in need of attention. There can be damage done that will result in pain even without a bit in the mouth and from the external pressures of a hack