The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/forumindex.php)
-   Horse Riding (/horse-riding/)
-   -   Getting back into shape after a riding hiatus (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/getting-back-into-shape-after-riding-117415/)

CoastieWife 03-23-2012 03:13 PM

Getting back into shape after a riding hiatus

I rode pretty much weekly during the school year and every day during the summer from the time I was 6 til I was 19, then dwindled down between college, working and the military. Now I'll be back to riding several times a week and I'm not as young as I was then. Can anyone give me any useful stetches or exercises to do, so I don't wreck my body with my enthusiam? :D

MyBoyPuck 03-24-2012 11:40 PM

Bathtub and glass on wine?

I'd say just be prepared to feel muscle groups you forgot about, particularly in your thigh area. I would say, just shake everything out after you ride while your muscles are still warm, and really a nice hot bath would help at least the first few rides back. Welcome back to riding!

waresbear 03-24-2012 11:52 PM

384 Attachment(s)
Stretch your large muscles, legs, arms, stretch out your sides. After your ride, stretch again. Then like Puck said, nice hot soak, no longer than 15 mins though and a nice beverage of your choice.

Missy May 03-25-2012 11:57 PM

Well, I do it the easy hard way. If I haven't ridden for a good while, I just ride...and sit the trot while I'm at it. Your legs and back (sitting the trot out of shape will do a number on it) will tell you exactly which muscels need attention, strengthening and stretching. And, I don't do baby stuff like hot soaks and sode - er pop. :) kidding.