The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Does anyone here do liberty? (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/does-anyone-here-do-liberty-117451/)

Fargosgirl 03-23-2012 09:18 PM

Does anyone here do liberty?

I just started dabbling in liberty with my boy and wanted some feed back. It's a short video less than 5 min.

yadlim 03-23-2012 10:39 PM

very kewl!

tbstorm 03-23-2012 11:08 PM

It was great! I'm just getting started :) the only thing that i thought was to get his hindquarters around more when going along the fence. I loved it though, someday im going to be able to play with horses that well. How long have you two been at it?

Fargosgirl 03-24-2012 12:33 AM

Thank you for your kind compliments! I've tried a few things at liberty occasionally over the past year, but I started really working with him at liberty little more than a month ago. I knew he was ready because he was very solid in his cues, I was barely using the lead line to signal him. It helps that he is a very sensitive horse.

This is the first video I've made of myself working with him, so I see a lot of things I need to improve, cleaning up his side pass is on my list!

tinyliny 03-24-2012 02:26 AM

you've done a really super job! I am impressed.

tbstorm 03-24-2012 02:42 AM

I love liberty, the feeling you get is beyond anything i've ever felt and i've only really done it with a horse whose done it a million times lol. The horse im playing with now, hes kind of a project horse and we've only done ground work. I think its the best though, are you working off of any horseman? like Parelli? does that even make sense? :P We kind of go by Parelli and Jonathan Field.

Angelina1 03-24-2012 03:43 AM

That was fantastic - well done - I am just starting with my boy! it is so much fun..

Thank you so much for sharing...

Fargosgirl 03-24-2012 09:08 AM

Again Thank you everyone! I am a Parelli student, but for my liberty work I am really inspired by, Fredrick Pignon, Ferdinand Hempfling, and Honza Bleha.

Honza is one of the reasons I started Parelli, he was once a Parelli student touring with P&L, I seen him play and thought I want to do that some day! He has gone on his own as a trainer in Europe now, but he has several videos on you tube that are WAY COOL.

Saddlebag 03-24-2012 09:16 AM

Fargo - check out Carolyn Resnick and Cynthia Royal. Cynthia trained Shadowfax (Blanco) for Lord of the Rings. Old ideas make us think we need to use halters and lead lines but we don't. Working at liberty does give a person a great feeling which I find addicting. People don't understand why I like to spend so much time with my horses. My feeling is that until a person has felt the mental connection with a horse, they haven't really connected with their inner self.

Fargosgirl 03-24-2012 09:18 AM

Ok, Thanks, I will!