The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Cleaning products and techniques.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/cleaning-products-techniques-117463/)

CQTAN 03-23-2012 11:26 PM

Cleaning products and techniques..

My boy is currently out in a paddock/agistment that has black soil and although he is a medium coloured bay he still gets really dirty. He is rugged most of the time and is not a show horse ( so no reall primping and preening needed) , I would just like to give this boy of mine a big clean up and show him and my self how good it feels to be clean and beautiful....any suggestions on products and techniques that could help achieve this? He also has that dandruff thing going on so any adivce on that would be helpful too . :oops:

BooBear 03-23-2012 11:32 PM

I think the biggest tip I have is to bring baby wipes (unscented) with you. Groom as normal (and spend a looot of time currying! They're all hairy and sheddy monsters right now) and when you're done, wipe him down with the baby wipes. It grabs all of the extra dirt and dust that hides down where the brushes sometimes miss.

Palomine 03-23-2012 11:50 PM

Baby wipes are the biggest waste of time and money I've ever seen. A rub rag and elbow grease do the same thing, and are free. Not to mention rub rags don't leave any residue on horse to collect more dust and dirt.

And horses don't like the feel of clean shiny skin and hair, that is why immediately after bathing? A horse that is turned loose will drop and roll.

CQTAN 03-24-2012 12:00 AM

I wasnt trying to make him feel squeeky clean like us humans do , just trying to help him maintain his coat and general grooming advice ......ive forgotten all the tricks of the trade :) ...most likely should have put that in first post ...apologies...still on look out for tips :)

BooBear 03-24-2012 12:18 AM

o_o Baby wipes a waste of time? Maybe it's just the crappy barn I'm at (when you walk in, your vision gets hazy from all of the dust and dander... 4/12 horses have skin conditions atm), but no amount of brushing or anything that kicks up the dirt gets my guy clean. I've had times where brushing him actually leaves him dirtier, even after cleaning my brushes, hence why I suggested baby wipes. They don't kick up the dirt, they just clean it up. He seems to stay cleaner for longer that way. He's never been much of a roller either, though.