The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Fertility Test (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/fertility-test-117491/)

IchigoSweeties 03-24-2012 10:01 AM

Fertility Test

Hi there, is it possibly to get a mare a fertility test? When I bought her she was originally destined for the slaughter house. She came from a vast stud farm in Ireland (I live in UK) when I called the Irish stud they said she had had two beautiful foals but was covered twice and didn't take, they had too many horses so because of this she was one of the 13 that was sent to the meat man :cry: . I would like to breed from her and want to know is it possible for a vet to perform a fertility test so I can find out if she is baron or it was just a case of third time lucky? Thank you
Georgia

PaintHorseMares 03-24-2012 11:03 AM

Yes, your vet can and there are also hormones shots to increase the fertility of mares.

MyLittlePonies 03-24-2012 11:31 AM

Oh yes! Just ask your vet to perform one. Hormones are available too. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Left Hand Percherons 03-24-2012 12:38 PM

There's alot more to getting a mare infoal than just breeding her. How fertile was the stallion, how often and when was she bred during her heat cycle, was she cultured, did she have any complications from prior foaling... A mare that has successfully foaled twice, provided she is still a good age, is a very low risk for not getting in foal again provided she was managed appropriately. You will want a breeding soundness examination (a uterine culture will be included) done on her. When she is in heat, the vet can also palpate her to check for folicles.

countryryder 03-24-2012 01:37 PM

So she's not catching,or she's catching and then absorbing? I have a mare that catches and takes with no problem,but the last few years she has,for some reason, absorbed the fetus within a couple months. Don't know why,as she had no problem carrying full term when I first started breeding her..

Super Nova 03-24-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countryryder (Post 1422150)
So she's not catching,or she's catching and then absorbing? I have a mare that catches and takes with no problem,but the last few years she has,for some reason, absorbed the fetus within a couple months. Don't know why,as she had no problem carrying full term when I first started breeding her..

Hormones is usually the answer......have you tried regumate?

Super Nova.

countryryder 03-24-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Nova (Post 1422185)
Hormones is usually the answer......have you tried regumate?

Super Nova.

Isn't Regumate a suppressor? I don't know alot about this type of thing,haven't done much research on it,so I'm curious as to what causes a mare to "absorb" and what can be done to fix that problem..