The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Maiden mare due to foal (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/maiden-mare-due-foal-117525/)

smichelle 03-24-2012 05:27 PM

Maiden mare due to foal

I have a 5 yo AQHA maiden mare who is 333 days today. She has been bagging up for 3 weeks, has been dripping white thin liquid for 2 weeks, tail is loose, has been rubbing her butt against anything sturdy for 2 weeks and is all around miserable. For the past week I have been keeping watch on her throughout the night, she lays down and pants heavily for anywhere between 20 min - 1 hour, rolling from "sitting like a cow" to full on her side, she will kick at her belly and moan. Around 6:30am every morning she will stop, eat, and act like nothing ever happened. She is still voiding and having stools, drinks and eats well. I have been testing her milk yesterday her calcium was still 200 but her pH dropped to 6.8, I check again in the night and she was Ca 200 pH 6.4 and yellow on the edges, I was up every 30-40 min checking on her. No baby! I tested again this morning and pH was back up to 7.4. She is driving me crazy! Any suggestions on what she's up to?

smichelle 03-24-2012 05:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures I took moments ago.

Cacowgirl 03-24-2012 06:34 PM

Have you talked to a vet in the area? has she ever been seen by one for this preganancy? The mare certianly looks ready to foal, & w/her being a maiden I would not leave her alone for too long-too many things can go wrong. Is she waxing?

Cacowgirl 03-24-2012 06:35 PM

She is a beautiful mare & her stall looks ready for the blessed event!

smichelle 03-24-2012 07:01 PM

She has been monitored by the vet. She has not waxed that I have seen. We have been on 24 hour watch basically there is someone home 24/7 in shifts to watch her.

smichelle 03-24-2012 07:01 PM

The vet says don't worry she's just getting herself and baby ready.

cmarie 03-24-2012 09:11 PM

If she has been dripping for 2 weeks it might be a good idea to get some colostrum to have on hand and give the baby some before it's 12 hours old, so you don't have a problem with immunity it's much cheaper than having to give the foal a transfusion because of not enough colostrum, which your mare is leaking right now.

countryryder 03-24-2012 11:33 PM

From the shape of her belly,looks like baby is well on the way to being in position to be born. :) Pretty mare,by the way..

smichelle 03-24-2012 11:48 PM

Thank you for the compliment on her! I think she is pretty too. Had someone out to look at her today. Says everything is going well but she is a few days out still. So I'm back out to sleep in the barn again tonight.
Posted via Mobile Device

countryryder 03-24-2012 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smichelle (Post 1422806)
Thank you for the compliment on her! I think she is pretty too. Had someone out to look at her today. Says everything is going well but she is a few days out still. So I'm back out to sleep in the barn again tonight.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sleeping in the barn,now that's always fun! lol :happydance: