The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Bitless bridles (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/bitless-bridles-117529/)

Farmergirl 03-24-2012 06:08 PM

Bitless bridles

Has anyone used a bitless bridle? Do you have a favorite brand? Is it hard to train a horse to use a bitless bridle if you have never used one yourself?

Saranda 03-24-2012 06:24 PM

You should search the forum boards a bit - there are several discussions on this topic already.

DancingArabian 03-24-2012 06:56 PM

Definitely search the threads.

This is a topic that doesn't have a blanket answer for every horse - much like the treed vs treeless saddle debate.

So..."it depends". There are various kinds of bitless bridles out there, not including various types of hackamores.

Aspin231 wrote an amazing post for me describing the mechanics of the different types of hackamores, which you can read here: http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack...-shape-116335/

Here's a decent article about the different types of bitless bridles: Natural Horse World Bitless Bridles

It may take some experimenting before you find something that works, and your horse may never take to it. Some don't, but most do. Read up and use what you know of your horse to try to make an educated decision before you start making purchases.

In my personal experience, my horse doesn't like bitless bridles. He doesn't like the pressure on his head. He does, however, enjoy his hackamore.

Coconut 03-25-2012 10:33 AM

I just bought a Dr. Cook Bitless Bridle after reading a lot of threads on this board. Some people didn't like this type of bridle because their horses didn't respond well, but other people loved them. In the end, the main factor for me is the fact that I can return it within 30 days for a full refund if it doesn't work out. Considering the fact that my local tack store doesn't carry any bitless bridles, I have only the internet to look at them, so being able to try one out and return it if necessary was important to me. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan on doing so today, hopefully!

Farmergirl 03-25-2012 11:59 AM

Looking forward to hearing how the bridle works out for you. I like it that it can be returned in 30 days if it doesn't work out.

Coconut 03-25-2012 06:00 PM

So I tried out the Dr. Cook bridle today on Shiloh. Although I only ground drove her in it, she responded very well. My horse Shiloh will be three in August, and I've only had her about a month and a half. Her previous owners broke her, but they just threw a kid on her back with a snaffle and let him walk around the barn, so I started over as though she knew nothing. I'm just giving you some background, because I have no idea if her age and lack of familiarity with a bit has something to do with how well she took to this bridle. As soon as I find a 20 or 22 inch cinch, I will climb up for a short walk around the paddock to see how she does with it. Her 24 inch cinch is just a little too big. She's a small girl.

Farmergirl 03-25-2012 06:26 PM

Glad to hear how well she did. Hope to hear how she does under saddle when that happens. It is helpful to hear opinions from others. Thanks!