The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   TWH clipping his feet even after a good trim. (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/twh-clipping-his-feet-even-after-117587/)

Diegosmom 03-25-2012 09:56 AM

TWH clipping his feet even after a good trim.

1 Attachment(s)
I switched to a better farrier afterm my vet wasnt pleased with the way he was being trimmed. He has a very long over stride naturally but i cant ever get him in a good running walk or fast rack without him clipping his feet horribly.

Here is the trainer trying to get him into a canter.(he has never cantered and we were gonna see if he could do it)And no this is not a walking horse trainer.He is a quarter horse guy but we are doing an all natural approach here to make him a good trail horse.I dont plan to show ever so im not totally concerned about his gait but i am conserened about his clipping.He was show bred with alot of champions in his line.So this might be something i cant fix but i just wanted to see if anything jumps out at yall.Sorry about the flip of the camera.I dont know what happened
so you can see his stride and he was shod that day
and here is a pic of him that day after the trim so you see his toes arnt too long

Darrin 03-25-2012 11:15 AM

First thing of note, your saddle is full rigging and that's a no no with walkers. You need 3/4 or 7/8 rigging so he can properly move his front shoulders. That right there could be causing him to clip. A hitch in his front shoulders could be causing him to not get his front feet off the ground in time before his back feet arrive.

Not easy to tell with the picture but his front foot angle looks like he's stood up to much. Down in the heel more with not such a steep angle on his toe would better (looks like a QH farrier trimmed him). Or it could just be the camera angle. Back feet look about right but next time try squaring his toe off a bit and see if that helps with his clipping. Also, if your new farrier pulled off a ton of foot he needs time to readjust to his new feet.

Ladytrails 03-25-2012 11:21 AM

Agree with Darrin. His front feet are too upright to be 'natural' for him and his conformation. The gaited horse books say that the proper angle is around 50-52 degrees; my farrier trims according to the horse so we're not measuring angles, per se. But your horse can't extend his front legs and get the 'reach' he needs with that trim. As a result, he'll be out of sync with his back feet. Also agree with Darrin about squaring off the back hooves a bit, that will help as well. Use bell boots or some other protective boots while he's trimmed like this, to keep him from hurting his front feet.

I would also add that the easiest way to get a gaited horse to learn to canter is not in an arena where they have to do the corners and figure out the leads; it's out on a straight trail, maybe a slight uphill, just like they would do in the pasture. Ask for speed and let them figure out the lead they want the first time.

Diegosmom 03-25-2012 12:07 PM

Yes he did take a ton of toe off and said he was trying to build up the heal. He said this could take several months. My last farrier whacked his heal all off to we're his frog was hitting the ground and caused a bacteria infection. That's why I changed. About 99% of the farriers around here are quarter horse people. There is only one gaited guy I know and we got off on the wrOng foot about scheduling me in once and he won't return my calls. I am having a custom saddle made through Dixieland saddles right now. That is my trainers saddle that he uses on starting horses. My horse is much smaller then anything he has so that's why he is using that saddle. My saddle should be done in a month. I normally ride him on an abetta saddle but really can't wait for the new one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 03-25-2012 12:12 PM

I think his curby hocks are the problem. I know he is standing a little bunched but the angle from his hock to his hoof is greater that it should be. Many walkers are curby hocked, but it's the degree that makes a difference. I don't know if squaring his hind toes would help. You do need to protect his bulbs or he could be laid up for some time.

Darrin 03-25-2012 01:56 PM

Like I said, a QH job. Talk to your farrier and have him read up on walkers, if he won't do that then try a farrier who will. You don't actually need a walker farrier as most of those trim for show and not trail, two different trims/shoe set. What you do need is one that are willing to learn the angles they need and how much heel to leave.

Diegosmom 03-25-2012 03:44 PM

Like I said I know he is trying to build the heel. When he comes out next I'll talk to him about that

Diegosmom 03-25-2012 03:46 PM

And what is full rigging? Are we talking about the cinch

Ladytrails 03-25-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diegosmom (Post 1423530)
And what is full rigging? Are we talking about the cinch

Full rigging is where the cinch attaches at the very front of the saddle.

Diegosmom 03-25-2012 03:48 PM

Ok. Well I'm guessing when I order the saddle for gaited horses it will be in the right spot