The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Member Journals (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/)
-   -   Road to the 2012 Shaggy Horse Dressage Schooling Show (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/road-2012-shaggy-horse-dressage-schooling-117602/)

Cinnys Whinny 03-25-2012 02:00 PM

Road to the 2012 Shaggy Horse Dressage Schooling Show

Sunday, March 25:

Time to start the count down to one of the biggest local dressage shows of the season, The Shaggy Horse Dressage Show held at the Nebraska Expo Center. This will be Cinny's 2nd show in his lifetime. We went last year and did Intro A and B and received upper 50's which I think isn't bad being that he was only under saddle 9 months and a first Dressage show foe either of us.... with no trainer to boot (trainer pitched a stink 3 days before the show, long story).

This year we are going to try to improve scores at intro level and show Intro B and C. We are also going to try Training levels 2 and 3, just to see where we are at. Cinny is beginning to relax with the help of our new trainer and we are both able to really relax with her unorthodox (well, unorthodox to most dressage trainers) methods. We have greatly improved on last years shortcomings and we even achieve a good "stretchy trot circle" about 50% of the time.

This weeks plan is to get halts more SOLID and strengthen transitions as well as responsiveness to leg cues. We also need to strengthen our transitions into canter and consistently picking up the correct lead. I have decided to do a LOT of this work on trail instead of in the arena. I am also going to continue strengthening the hind with hill work including halting halfway up or halfway down a hill, and then asking to walk on from a solid halt on the incline. My conditioning with riding bareback will also continue so that I can learn to balance myself correctly instead using my legs and saddle to balance.

Beauty treatments will start tomorrow with a "secret beauty spray" treatment after his rinse. He will also get a deep hoof conditioning treatment tomorrow too. Phase 1 of ear clipping as I have to do a little bit each day as he has no patience for clippers buzzing around his ears.

I'm so so excited. Stay tuned for more updates and future pictures!

Cinnys Whinny 03-25-2012 08:01 PM

Some videos from our last lesson:

waresbear 03-25-2012 08:41 PM

Right on! You got a goal, you & Cinny are working. Just a thought, had he had his teeth checked by a vet who is good at equine denistry? He seems annoyed at something in his mouth to me.

Cinnys Whinny 03-25-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1423858)
Right on! You got a goal, you & Cinny are working. Just a thought, had he had his teeth checked by a vet who is good at equine denistry? He seems annoyed at something in his mouth to me.

He had his teeth done by an excellent dentistry vet last month. He had no bad teeth that needed removing, and they were all nicely smoothed out for him. Yes he grinds... he has ALWAYS done that. By ALWAYS I mean that his breeder said he started doing it the day he was born. Some days he's better than others. He mainly does it in his stall and the arena, not so much outdoors or at the Expo Center.

And, my trainer is having me keep a tighter rein on him than he is used to. I've been riding him very very loose the past year and now that my hands are better, we are really working on contact. He has NEVER liked rein contact much ha ha, but he is getting more used to it.

waresbear 03-25-2012 08:49 PM

Nasty habit, well, at least he doesn't hang his tongue, lol.

Cinnys Whinny 03-25-2012 08:51 PM

I agree but something I choose live with....

Golden Horse 03-25-2012 09:09 PM

G Man is the same, so we put a flash on him, it stopped him getting marked down the whole time.

Hope you had a good time at the show

Cinnys Whinny 03-25-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Horse (Post 1423893)
G Man is the same, so we put a flash on him, it stopped him getting marked down the whole time.

Hope you had a good time at the show

Haven't gone yet, it's next Saturday :)

We tried a flash on Cin once.... Stargazing wouldn't even describe the end result haha. He would put his nose in the air and then thrash his head left and right, it was awful. He is SUCH a problem child.

waresbear 03-25-2012 10:55 PM

Problem child makes him more endearing....

BaileyJo 03-26-2012 12:21 PM

He definitely looks more comfortable than the last video you posted. Sometimes I think they will continue to toss their heads out of habit but he looks like he is much better.

I know this isn't a critique that you are asking but will just offer up something real quick that I see. His canter is very nice. What I would suggest for you is to hold your shoulders/upper body more still and move your pelvis with him in the saddle. Think about your shoulders not moving and only move your hips. Will quiet your upper body.

I will probably be there on Saturday myself, but not riding. Hopefully the weather will hold.