The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Help with boots please (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/help-boots-please-117616/)

GeeGee Gem 03-25-2012 03:56 PM

Help with boots please

Hi,

I'm looking for a good quality affordable leather boot.

It must be hard wearing and preferably waterproof.

Comfortable but i'm not worried about warm linings as I wear my muckboots in winter.

They must be comfy and hard wearing enough for every day but smart enough that a touch of polish will have them looking nice for competition.

I do long distance ...

What would you recommend?

I also have short wide-ish calves. 14" width and about the same height is probably realistic.

Thanks in advance :-P

HorsesAreMyPassion 03-25-2012 10:35 PM

I really recommend the the Ariat brand for riding boots. They have a good variety of styles to choose from and the tall boots and 1/2 chaps come in many different widths and heights, the most choice available in sizes compared with other off the shelf brands. They are also made to last, very durable. I have had all of mine for ages, they clean up well too.

I have 4 pairs of paddock boots in lace up and zip up styles (I prefer the zip ups), 4 pairs of 1/2 chaps, 2 pairs of winter paddock boots (lace up and zip up), and 1 pair of tall boots with lacing all down the outside of the leg, I can't remember the name of them. I also have a pair of the "Terrain" style of sneakers. I have 1 pair of tall boots as well, the "Bromont", it is a field boot style that is waterproof.

You could go with a nice pair of paddock boots and a pair of leather 1/2 chaps, they look really nice together, almost like tall boots. I suppose if you want to compete in them as well, a pair of tall boots may be a better choice.

Ariat International

Joe4d 03-25-2012 10:56 PM

Ariat terrain h2o's waterproof models, and half chaps if you need them.

HorsesAreMyPassion 03-26-2012 01:59 PM

I just noticed that you said you do long distance. Then I would probably have to agree with Joe4d, one of the Ariat Terrain h2o waterproof styles and a pair of suede 1/2 chaps would work well. The Terrains are very comfortable, I wear mine around the barn almost all day, I do a lot of walking in them and my feet never get sore, they also didn't need any break in time to become that comfortable.

DejaVu 03-26-2012 04:56 PM

I'd also say Ariat.
Very comfortable, and will last you a long time.

countercanter 03-27-2012 09:24 AM

The Ariat Breeze boots and half chaps are waterproof and washable.