The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Braiding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/braiding-117634/)

Lexiie 03-25-2012 07:02 PM

Braiding

Does anyone here braid their horse's tail when they ride?
If you do what kind of braid is it?

Also, does anyone know of any good videos on how to do a "running braid" isn't it the same as a french braid?

SorrelHorse 03-25-2012 07:07 PM

I normally french braid the tail and put it in a bag in the winter because I don't want it dirty. In the summer I let it down and just wash it every now and then.

I'd find you a video but my internet refuses to load youtube.

Lexiie 03-25-2012 07:10 PM

I did the same this winter for my mare's tail

tlkng1 03-25-2012 07:34 PM

Yes, the running braid in the mane is created in the same way as a french braid. While it works well with a long mane, it doesn't seem to work so well with a very long AND very thick mane.

As for the tail, I have been blessed with a thoroughbred that has a very thick and very long tail. If the rinfgs are very sloppy I will tie it up in a mud knot but since he is only a dressage horse, I no longer have to worry about braiding his tail for the hunter shows. I just make a striaght cut along the bottom (bang cut) and let it keep on growing :)

Lexiie 03-25-2012 07:41 PM

my horse's mane is nice and thin, but how do you get the rumning braid to stay up by her crest? Whenever I do it, it drops really low and I can't do her whole mane

tlkng1 03-25-2012 08:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexiie (Post 1423774)
my horse's mane is nice and thin, but how do you get the rumning braid to stay up by her crest? Whenever I do it, it drops really low and I can't do her whole mane

It won't stay up on the crest but comes down at an angle. It will be on the crest at your starting point and will get longer and angle down as you go to the withers. Here:

Lexiie 03-25-2012 08:33 PM

so loose hair is okay?
Posted via Mobile Device

Lexiie 03-25-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlkng1 (Post 1423840)
It won't stay up on the crest but comes down at an angle. It will be on the crest at your starting point and will get longer and angle down as you go to the withers. Here:

so i was just reading my book on show jumping, just about shows in general
and it says that a braid like that in unacceptable and that a running braid should always be directly on the crest.

tlkng1 03-26-2012 06:26 AM

I think there is another version called a french braid that keeps it on the crest but I have never actually seen it done. Exhibitor Labs : French Braiding The Long Mane

As for hunter/jumpers, no, you would want standard hunter braids. A running braid would get in the way of the crest or open release needed. Running braids tend to get used more in the dressage arena.

I tried this recently on my TB I admit :). He had a nice long mane and I really didn't want to pull it to put up in dresage braids..I tried a running braid but his mane was just too thick.

What I didn't realize is that there is a new style of dressage braids which I have yet to see while being created. I have seen the results though :)

caseymyhorserocks 03-27-2012 05:06 PM

My friend can do it up on the crest. I can sorta do it- but I still haven't perfected my french braid so..

Basically what ya do is stand on a mounting block so you are look down on the horses neck and braid and pull the strands tight. Only way I know how to explain it.