The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   chiropractors ?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/chiropractors-117642/)

gypsygirl 03-25-2012 07:42 PM

chiropractors ??

so ive seen a few posts lately where people say chiropractors dont work and are only the placebo effect. i have found going to the chiropractor is very beneficial to both me and my horse. i really dont see how its placebo effect at all, unless you dont really need an adjustment.

please give me your opinions and reasons why or why not you think chiropractors are good ! please feel free to link to articles or research that support your point =]

waresbear 03-25-2012 07:45 PM

If you understand how the bone structure works and how it all begins with the spine, you know how an adjustment is beneficial. Yes, I've seen it improve many horses' way of moving, attitude, etc. I've seen it right before my eyes, I'd be a fool to be skeptical.

With Grace 03-25-2012 07:49 PM

Well, I'm pro chiro. My FIL is a retired chiro. I didnt believe it was helpful until about 15 years ago I got injured and had an extruded disk. Flat on my back in bed for 5 weeks. The only thing that managed to get me up and moving was the visits from my FIL (who lived 3 hours away). He came, adjusted me, and helped me through the pain a few times a week. The manipulations provided so much relief that I could walk each time he left. Over a course of a few months I was back to norm.

Then 2 years ago I had another injury, could hardly walk. Found a local chiro who is awesome - he had me up and walking in a week and in about a months time I was at least doing my normal activities (though I can never run again) Now, I do believe that the body can come to depend of manipulations and adjustment - this is where I am at right now. I am slowly weaning myself off weekly visits. I have a bulging disk and a type of arthritis in my lower spine, so will always have back pain. I will always keep a chiro on speed dial for when things get too painful. The pain is aleviated immediately with an adjustment.

With Grace 03-25-2012 07:51 PM

I should also add that I believe in chiro and massage for horses and all other animals. So much so that I am starting school next month to become a certified equine massage therapist.

boots 03-25-2012 08:05 PM

I like the work of chiropractors when it is needed.

But, I've seen some people run for an appointment for their horse when it's really a hole in the horse's training or lack of skill on the rider's part. A horse doesn't pick up the left lead as easily as it does the right? Not always a call for an adjustment.

And then there is the problem of the practitioners skills. Depending on where they went to school or how good a student they were, some are very knowledgeable and talented and others not at all. I know of a couple (not in my area) who will do something/anything just because the owner says it's needed, when the real problem is in my first example.

I look forward to a national certification and would like to see them required to work under a vet's orders.

gypsygirl 03-25-2012 08:07 PM

thanks for all the input so far guys !

i agree with you boots, on making sure to find a good chiro for your horse. i really like my horses chiro, because she is also a vet. did you know that human chiros can work on horses as well ?

boots 03-25-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsygirl (Post 1423810)
thanks for all the input so far guys !

i agree with you boots, on making sure to find a good chiro for your horse. i really like my horses chiro, because she is also a vet. did you know that human chiros can work on horses as well ?

As long as they know their anatomy and neuro, sounds good to me! : )

gypsygirl 03-25-2012 08:11 PM

i know ! it kinda scares me, i dont think i would want someone who mostly did people working on my horse !

waresbear 03-25-2012 08:15 PM

Any chiropractor can work anything with a spine. I am not sure about the legalities but my horse chiro legally can't adjust a human, she does all animals however.

gypsygirl 03-26-2012 08:46 PM

bump

anyone thoughts from people who think chiro is placebo effect ??