The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Your suggestions for Parelli or Anderson or any other "good" ones? (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/your-suggestions-parelli-anderson-any-other-117665/)

dejavuchicka 03-25-2012 10:32 PM

Your suggestions for Parelli or Anderson or any other "good" ones?

So, there is a lot of talk on this forum about trainers and methods and I want to learn all I can!! I know the Monty Roberts join-up well, I tried it on my lesson horse and it went phenomenally, so of course I want to know all I can. The only thing is its difficult to learn about these methods unless you buy their dvd's :-? I have heard of horseflix, but I'm struggling to even pay for lessons right now being a full time college student and having a part time job. I found a lot on youtube for Monty Roberts methods, but I'm having a difficult time with the rest.

I'm looking for methods that refer to how to get respect, or even groundwork methods, or anything else that you may find interesting!! Its so sad you have to pay so much money to learn how to work WITH these amazing animals instead of against them, but I guess horse trainers have to eat too. :wink:

Any videos you guys may have stumbled across that you learned a lot from would be great! :)

Saddlebag 03-25-2012 10:40 PM

Just get on youtube and look up the various trainer's names. On the side menu you'll be able to pick out what you want.

tbstorm 03-25-2012 11:25 PM

I have just started and i'm working off Parelli and Jonathan Field. If you google road to the horse that will give you 6 great horsemen to check out.

usandpets 03-25-2012 11:35 PM

I like Clinton Anderson and his methods. He's easy to understand and follow. He has a web site, I think it's downunderhorsemanship.com. You can pay a monthly membership and watch as many videos as you want. I think it's only 19.99/month. He also has a show on RFDTV. That's what I watch. It covers it mostly but leaves a little out. You might be able to find some DVDs on eBay too.
Posted via Mobile Device

ConfusciusWasAGreatTeachr 03-26-2012 10:33 AM

I think Rick Gore is great to learn a few things from. Lots on info on why your horse does what he does, info on herd behaviour, pressure and release, horse interaction, and how the usual ''don't do that's'' are defied. There's alot of free info there that other trainers can't or won't tell you.

Calash 03-26-2012 10:54 AM

I got Clinton Anderson's book and watch him on rfd-tv, I JUST started, I was looking into Parelli, but personally I prefer Clinton, I haven't tried anything yet and am starting lessons with my horse next month. I agree the dvd's are crazy expensive, I would keep checking craigslist and ebay for the dvd's, I almost bought them on ebay but my paypal account is all messed up. If you can't afford lessons, maybe joining his website would be a great alternative as well. =) Good luck!!

Oh I like Chris Cox as well!!

Allison Finch 03-26-2012 10:57 AM

Not wanting to hijack this thread with yet another Gore bash, but one shouldn't have to wade through a ton of hateful dialog, girlish giggles and poor techniques to try to find one little glimmer of useful information, IMO.

jennyandjesse 03-26-2012 11:05 AM

Here in MN, we have a statewide library loan system. That is where I find my horse training videos. They may be older, but you can still learn a thing or two.

Fargosgirl 03-28-2012 01:41 PM

I like Denis Reis, he also has a club and system of dvds. What I've seen of Stacey Westfall I really like. I'm not a big fan of John Lyons, but I have used some of his methods very successfully. But of those my favourite is definitely Denis Reis.

barrelbeginner 04-13-2012 01:44 PM

Clinton Anderson and ken Mcnab. I like them both