The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Ground work (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/ground-work-117678/)

BitingTheBit 03-26-2012 01:53 AM

Ground work
 
My saddle i have been riding with is very old and it has now fallen apart...
I can't afford a new saddle, JUST yet, but i am close!
In the meantime i want to keep my horse exercising.
Any ideas on some ground work i can do with my horse?

minstrel 03-26-2012 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BitingTheBit (Post 1424279)
My saddle i have been riding with is very old and it has now fallen apart...
I can't afford a new saddle, JUST yet, but i am close!
In the meantime i want to keep my horse exercising.
Any ideas on some ground work i can do with my horse?

Lungeing and/or long-reining are the best ways of keeping your horse fit without riding... you could also try riding bareback?

BitingTheBit 03-27-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minstrel (Post 1424360)
Lungeing and/or long-reining are the best ways of keeping your horse fit without riding... you could also try riding bareback?

Haha yes i know bareback is an option :D

PaintMare 03-27-2012 10:14 PM

Look up the parelli 7 games...those are fun...and very useful.

You could work on desensitizing your horse to different objects like...tarps, plastic bags, windchimes etc. That way your horse will become more bombproof.

Back up, yielding, bending, lowering head, lunging, free lunging in a round pen, trotting in hand.

Showmanship---setting up, back up, turn on forehand/hindquarters, trot...those are all forms of groundwork.

Clicker training. I clicker trained my horse to do a lot of different things! Clicker training is sooo much fun! You can teach your horse tricks, manners, groundwork, targeting etc.! Tricks like...nodding, saying no, picking up objects, smiling, bowing, laying down! The list goes on and on! Google it...there are a lot of great websites about clicker training...not many books though. Feb default.html

Ground tieing. Thats something I'm currently teaching my mare to do. Its basically when the lead rope is laying on the ground....they horse is not supposed to move. Its useful because the horse won't walk away if the lead rope is on the ground. I used clicker training to teach this to my horse. But you don't have to. This is the video I went by.....


DraftyAiresMum 03-27-2012 11:55 PM

Trail walks. That's all I did with Aires for the first three months I owned him. We went on a trail walk almost every single day. It helped improve his ground manners because he had to be in-tune with me and it helped desensitize him to allll sorts of stuff. Now I have the only horse at the barn that loves mailboxes.

MajorSealstheDeal 03-28-2012 03:09 PM

If you have access to a round pen, you can do all sorts of things that can be fun for you and your horse.

Put a tarp on the ground or other obstacles like a bridge and work the horse over the obstacles. Great for building trust and such.

Can you build an in-hand trail course? We built one the last two summers using things we found around the farm. Barrels, rain coats, tarps, a flag tied to a pole, ground poles, bridge. We took the horses through it in hand, then rode them through it. It was a nice break from routine and a lot of fun to build.

BitingTheBit 04-02-2012 01:49 AM

Thank you, i built an in-hand trail course...
It worked very well and was good fun :D

BitingTheBit 04-02-2012 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintMare (Post 1427322)
Look up the parelli 7 games...those are fun...and very useful.

You could work on desensitizing your horse to different objects like...tarps, plastic bags, windchimes etc. That way your horse will become more bombproof.

Back up, yielding, bending, lowering head, lunging, free lunging in a round pen, trotting in hand.

Showmanship---setting up, back up, turn on forehand/hindquarters, trot...those are all forms of groundwork.

Clicker training. I clicker trained my horse to do a lot of different things! Clicker training is sooo much fun! You can teach your horse tricks, manners, groundwork, targeting etc.! Tricks like...nodding, saying no, picking up objects, smiling, bowing, laying down! The list goes on and on! Google it...there are a lot of great websites about clicker training...not many books though. Feb default.html

Ground tieing. Thats something I'm currently teaching my mare to do. Its basically when the lead rope is laying on the ground....they horse is not supposed to move. Its useful because the horse won't walk away if the lead rope is on the ground. I used clicker training to teach this to my horse. But you don't have to. This is the video I went by.....

Ground Tying, How to Teach with Clicker Training - YouTube

Thank you very much!
This should keep her busy until i get my saddle :-)

Roperchick 04-02-2012 02:23 AM

theres all kinds of things to do with your horse for ground work, desensitizing is great. i personally love playing soccer with my boy when im home. well chase each other around the arena kickin his giant soccer ball. but it depends on how much ground manners your horse has and how much you trust them.

BitingTheBit 04-09-2012 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roperchick (Post 1435090)
theres all kinds of things to do with your horse for ground work, desensitizing is great. i personally love playing soccer with my boy when im home. well chase each other around the arena kickin his giant soccer ball. but it depends on how much ground manners your horse has and how much you trust them.


Yes i tried that for a little while, but she only looked at the ball once.
Any tips on teaching her how to play?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0