The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   Romel reins? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/romel-reins-117683/)

Sheez So Hollywood 03-26-2012 02:56 AM

Romel reins?

I showed arabians for many years and always showed with romels. About 7 years ago switched to Quarter horses, and have noticed none of the people in my area use them... so thats my question, can you show a QH with romels or should I just stick to split reins? :?

COWCHICK77 03-26-2012 02:58 AM

What are you showing in?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sheez So Hollywood 03-26-2012 03:06 AM

Just western pleasure and reining.

SorrelHorse 03-26-2012 03:10 AM

You can show in romals unles the event rulebook states otherwise. However, I would think you'd want to give the judge less reason to think you're different. The more they are looking at what type of reins you have the less they will be looking at your horse. Although it is legal, that is just something to bear in mind when choosing your reins. I can't imagine it would be a huge deal with a good judge but you never know nowadays.

kate114 03-26-2012 08:56 AM

Go a head abd use them of you are more comfortable with them unless, like stated above, that there is something not allowing you to in the rule book. Also I know where you are coming from! :) I grew up showing Morgan's and the switched to a POA I showed with romels until I was comfortable and had good equation with split.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sheez So Hollywood 03-26-2012 03:31 PM

I am more comfortable with romels. im fine with splits but i feel awkward sometimes with my free arm..

COWCHICK77 03-26-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheez So Hollywood (Post 1424958)
I am more comfortable with romels. im fine with splits but i feel awkward sometimes with my free arm..

I agree, I like romels! I always have the urge to ride two handed with leather split reins.:D

I believe, like Sorrel said-dependent on your assoc., that romel reins are exceptable for both reining and western pleasure and even required in some reined cowhorse classes.