The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Finding info on OTTB. Help!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/finding-info-ottb-help-117700/)

grayshell38 03-26-2012 10:43 AM

Finding info on OTTB. Help!!

3 Attachment(s)
My BO just took a gelding on trial and we aren't sure of much on him since he was a relinquished rescue. He is tattoo'd and luckily it is fairly easy to read. Mostly we are interested in his age, but any info from JC would be great. Based on his teeth, he is estimated 7-11 years old. He is black with a tiny bit of white on his left front, white to his fetlock on left rear. He has a tiny star and two worles (sp?) right under that and a snip.

From what I could make out of his tattoo, it said something like B39505. I will attach photos. Any help would be appreciated!

Cowgirls Boots 03-26-2012 11:19 AM

Could you get a better picture of it? I don't see the B in the tattoo all I see is 3050 but there is a letter infront of it.

You can email the jockey club I think and ask them to research the tattoo for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

themacpack 03-26-2012 12:06 PM

Have you tried the self-service tattoo lookup on the JC website? They have upgraded it to include partial tattoo searches which you only have to have three characters and a basic despription (gender, color and white markings) to get a list of possible matches that you can then look through and try to narrow it down.
I did learn something in our search for our girl's identity -- if it seems like everything but one item is a match (even something fairly major), it doesn't hurt to e-mail the JC and ask some questions. We kept coming to the same conclusion on our girl's tattoo (multiple people looking at it) and the description for the horse on the JC site matched EXCEPT it stated she was a chestnut and she is very clearly and obviously bay. Big difference, right? We had actually written it off as any chance it was her, then DD came across an old race replay for the horse on the JC site and we could see the horse was, in fact, bay - so I e-mailed the JC and they confirmed there had been a mismark on the foal papers that had been corrected, but the original info is what was listed on the tattoo look-up which still had the incorrect color!
To photograph the tattoo it is best done in a dark area and use of a blacklight can help to highlight the ink. Have at least two people - one to flip the lip and one to photograph. Also, because of the stretch/curve of the area, it can be usesful to break it into two or three sections and photograph it that way vs. trying to get the whole thing in each shot - this allows you to really zoom/focus on the characters you are trying to show and get the clearest shot of each.

Remy410 03-26-2012 06:02 PM

There's also a website called equiline or equinline or maybe equibase.... you can find the link through the jockey club. I was able to pull info on my TB by name, her tattoo is no longer visible at all.

grayshell38 03-28-2012 02:42 PM

Found him!! They have him mismarked as dark bay/brown, but the markings are perfect match. Even have his double cowlicks! I was close. His number was B38505.
Thanks for the help guys!! Now if is there a way to find out about his racing career?

"Small star; bordered flesh colored snip slightly to right between nostrils. Left fore: coronet white, except on outside, higher in back. Left hind: pastern and part of ankle white, higher in back. Double horizontal cowlick at eye level. "

Horse Name:Sharppardo
Tattoo: B38505
Year of Birth:1998
Dam Name: Isn't She Clever
Color: Dark Bay or Brown
Sex: Gelding

Never mind. found him on Allbreed!

http://www.pedigreequery.com/sharppardo

Remy410 03-28-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grayshell38 (Post 1428243)
Found him!! They have him mismarked as dark bay/brown, but the markings are perfect match. Even have his double cowlicks! I was close. His number was B38505.
Thanks for the help guys!! Now if is there a way to find out about his racing career?

Equineline.com. It will cost $8.00 to get his race history report
"Small star; bordered flesh colored snip slightly to right between nostrils. Left fore: coronet white, except on outside, higher in back. Left hind: pastern and part of ankle white, higher in back. Double horizontal cowlick at eye level. "

Horse Name:Sharppardo
Tattoo: B38505
Year of Birth:1998
Dam Name: Isn't She Clever
Color: Dark Bay or Brown
Sex: Gelding

Never mind. found him on Allbreed!

Sharppardo Horse Pedigree

Posted via Mobile Device

tlkng1 03-28-2012 03:18 PM

I have the interactive registry up but the race information is down. Will post it as soon as the database comes back online.

His auction info:

Originally sold in 1999 for $10,000 to a Jerry Givens.

tlkng1 03-28-2012 03:30 PM

Racing stats. He had 38 starts with a lifetime win of $13,217. There is too much info to post here..I'll send the MS Word doc privately which has teh tracks and placement.

Sharppardo (LA)

DK B/, G, foaled February 11, 1998

Connections as of last Start:

Jockey:
Jerry La Sala
Trainer:
Gust Zissides
Owner:
Apostoludias, Evagelos and Boundroukaf, George
Breeder:
Curt Leake

2012 Statistics:
Starts: N/A
Firsts: N/A
Seconds: N/A
Thirds: N/A
Earnings: N/A
Career Statistics:
Starts: 38
Firsts: 0
Seconds: 4
Thirds: 3
Earnings: $13,217

Remy410 03-28-2012 03:39 PM

Isn't it interesting to find out where they've been? He's had a lot of starts! My girl only had 4 races, never placed. I was able to find out the names of her foals (only 2) and registered myself with the Jockey Club program that helps place OTTBs. That way if either of them ever come up needing a home, and they check the registry (very slim chance, they're like 14 or 15 by now) I could be contacted.

grayshell38 03-29-2012 11:57 AM

Thanks so much for the info!! It is really neat to see where he's been. Especially considering how he looks and where the rescue got him from. Poor guy is so sweet. I wonder if there is a way to find a vid of him racing? That would be neat!