The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Growing into Halter? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/growing-into-halter-117727/)

Eolith 03-26-2012 01:15 PM

Growing into Halter?

So, my primary question is: Is a 2 year old horse likely to outgrow a halter?

I'm asking because my colt is about 2 years old and has a nylon halter with a leather breakaway crownpiece. It seems to me like the nylon may be sort of chafing a bit, so I'd like to get him a leather halter. Only thing is, leather halters are generally more pricey and I don't want to get him one if he's just going to outgrow it in a year.

Right now he wears a yearling/large pony size halter. I'd estimate he's about 14.1 hh. Is he likely to grow much more than an adjustable halter can accommodate?

TimberRidgeRanch 03-26-2012 01:25 PM

Stateline tack has inexpensive leather halters and yes a 2 yr old will out grow a halter horse do not stop growing till about 3 to 4 and they fill out then. You can alo get halter tubes to prevent rubs. I use them on my hores that are for sale.

themacpack 03-26-2012 01:28 PM

I would not consider this halter his "forever" halter - he will likely outgrow it. You can, though, still get a nice enough leather halter that you will get your money's worth of use out of before it is outgrown.

TimberRidgeRanch 03-26-2012 01:29 PM

www.statelinetack.com They6 have one on sale right now for 16.99
Economy leather halter.

crimsonsky 03-26-2012 06:52 PM

i'd guess that he'll outgrow whatever halter fits him now. i've gone through three halters already for my coming 2yr old and he's just a bit bigger than your boy.

natisha 03-26-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimberRidgeRanch (Post 1424840)
www.statelinetack.com They6 have one on sale right now for 16.99
Economy leather halter.

Careful with some of those halters as the throat snap is on the wrong way. The snap opening should be towards the horse to prevent it getting caught on things like fence wire.
It's easy to change if you have an awl, though irritating that they don't come the proper way.