The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Need help/suggestions to tame a mane (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/need-help-suggestions-tame-mane-11773/)

appylover31803 07-17-2008 09:47 AM

Need help/suggestions to tame a mane

I'm trying to tame Vega's mane to lay down. I put bands in her mane, as some of you saw. I made them into braids and covered it with a sleezy. Well it's been really hot lately, and i can't keep that on her, because she gets all sweaty. And it started rubbing her too :(

So besides putting a sleezy on, how else can i tame her mane?

Her mane is short as it is, and doing any sort of braids is rather hard. I also tried putting a gel type cream in her hair and it didnt work :(

I'm open to any suggestions! Thanks

jazzyrider 07-17-2008 09:58 AM

i didnt see the pics of it banded. did you just band lots of sections or did you plait them?? is it long enough to plait??

im not really sure because when we got sick of cougars mane doing that we clipped it all off lol he has the chunkiest neck these days so it actually looks quite good on him :) he has the shaggiest winter coat at the moment and with his thick neck and clipped mane he looks sooo cute :D i must get some pics

anyway, i digress. im not really sure if it will work or not but plaiting it may help. you could maybe try using something like pro-plaits when you do it and make sure you plait really really close to the neck.

thats my only idea :D

appylover31803 07-17-2008 10:07 AM

Here's the link Emily
http://www.horseforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12239

I did try and braid her mane, but it is short and it was killing my hands after only doing half!
I'll try doing the braids today.. maybe i'll make them bigger than 1/4 of an inch.

I'll try picking up something from the tack store today to help.

Thanks Emily! :D

Light-Hikari 07-21-2008 12:54 PM

hmmmm.... well, my horse just had a terrible case of frizz.... :D but I used this detangling spray.... stuff.... and it helped to sleek and smooth it down. Maybe that would work for you? I think it was Mane and Tail brand, but I'm not positive. I can check if you want!

appylover31803 07-21-2008 12:58 PM

I've been braiding her mane and it seems to be helping. I've tried putting gel and stuff on her mane but it doesn't seem to help all that much :(

I did get about 1/3 of her mane to lay on her right side, so i am happy about that.

dangergurly9 07-26-2008 11:20 AM

On one of my filly's--the one who I had the diamond braid in her mane-- I use something called "Pink's Luster". It is for people. It can be found in the section of hair products for (no offense please anyone) black people. It not only conditions it and leaves it softer and easy to untangle but leaves it managable. She has a very long mane and I love it, so I have tried several things to tame it and keep it in good shape and this seems to be the one. Not very expensive..about $5.00 and the bottle last a long time.

appylover31803 07-26-2008 11:56 AM

well after a few days of her getting the bands out, it's llike 80% back to how it started :evil:

I don't know if her mane will ever fall completely over.

My2Geldings 07-26-2008 02:35 PM

The only thing I do that I found works well with my babies is braiding. If done properly they are nice and tight and they stay in even when they spend their day goofing around in the field.
You might find on the odd occasion one or two might come undone but it's otherwise not to bad.

appylover31803 07-26-2008 04:27 PM

it's really hard to braid a 4 inch mane. I've tried numerous times and it works for a while, but its never permanent.

I have tried, but since i'm selling her, i'll just let her be natural.

DashAwayAll 07-29-2008 12:28 PM

Comb it everyday when you feed, otherwise, give it up. LOL. Really. When it's short like that only gel/assorted sticky stuff, and a pre-show manetamer will lock 'er in place.

Personally, I don't like to leave a mane braided- it's usually uncomfortable for the horse. Mine always tried to find a spot to rub the braids out. Way back when, 4-H would "ding" you on horsemanship points if you didn't take the braids out. Anyway, I tried longer braids during sticky burr season. Not only did Dash hossie look like po' cousin Leroy, the braids made burr removal harder! :roll: