The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Breeding HYPP Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/breeding-hypp-horses-11797/)

mlkarel2010 07-17-2008 07:00 PM

Breeding HYPP Horses

I was thinking about how a lot of breeders WANT their horses to be positive for HYPP so that they have more muscle mass and will look better in halter. I think they are slowly moving away from it in the Quarter Horse classes because if they are H/H they are not allowed to be registered with the AQHA, but other breeds are doing it as well.

How do you feel about people purposly and knowingly breeding horses to have HYPP?

appylover31803 07-17-2008 07:28 PM

I don't think an HH horse should be bred. Even if they are bred to a NN horse, there's a 100% chance the foal would get the disease.

I'm not sure about NH horses. Vega is NH and i used to toy around the idea of maybe one day breeding her... and i'm still not sure. (don't yell at me for this) If i bred her to a NN stallion, there's only a 50% the foal would get the disease. For some, that's a chance they are willing to take.

I am glad registeries are making it so HH horses cannot be registered.. the next move would be to not accept NH horses.. though i'm sure that's going to be controversial, as not all NH horses show symptoms.

So to sum up.. i don't agree with HH horses being bred, and my mind's not made up about NH horses being bred.

mlkarel2010 07-17-2008 08:01 PM

I just hate how some breeders choose horses with HYPP in hopes that the foal WILL have the disease so they will have the extra muscle... I would think the goal would be to have a N/N horse not one that is N/H or H/H

it just angers me that they would want their animal to possibly have health problems just so they will look better

PoptartShop 07-17-2008 08:52 PM

I don't like it either. I think it's sickening how people find a disease like that to be so GREAT-looking...to me it looks terrible & so un-natural.

kickshaw 07-17-2008 09:11 PM

i think it's a selfish and ignorant act on the behalf of the breeder to purposely breed these affected horses. (IMHO)

8)

appylover31803 07-17-2008 09:43 PM

My biggest problem with it, is breeding a NH stallion to a NN mare, and producing a foal and not getting it tested, and then selling it! :twisted:

If you're going to take the money to get semen shipped, spend the $50 and get the horse tested.

A lot of people say Hypp positive horses are huge muscled and ugly... and i obviously think of Vega, and i have never heard one bad thing about her. I don't like how people think when they see hypp postive stallion that all horses look like that...

Here's a stallion people may not like.. He's NH
https://www.quarterhorsestallions.co...es/GORGEO2.jpg

And here's my mare.... she's NH
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...a/DSC00823.jpg

I believe a lot of the look has to due to breeding... if you breed two thinner built horses together, you'll most likely get thinner built foals...where as if you breed to heavier, stockier built horses, you'll most likely get heavier stockier built foals.
Just my thoughts...

mlkarel2010 07-17-2008 09:53 PM

yeah, breeding has a lot to do with it... also stallions have more muscle mass to begin with, but what's goes on in the breeding industry disturbs me sometimes

appylover31803 07-17-2008 10:00 PM

oh it disturbs me too.. to see some of the stuff they do just for money and fame. Those are the people, IMO that have lost the true meaning of horse ownership.

PoptartShop 07-17-2008 10:23 PM

Definitely, Appy! It irks me. :evil: Ugh...I don't get how some people can find a horse that doesn't even look like a normal horse or isn't even healthy, attractive... :roll:

Supermane 07-18-2008 01:20 AM

I am totally against breeding of HH, NH, or breeding untested horses. It's selfish for people to breed these horses and although it's true that not all horses show signs why take the risk? The horses suffer a horrible death and attack are frightening to watch. I think that the APHA, AQHA, and ApHC should refuse to register NH as well as HH horses, which would dissuade breeders.

Just to add, I am disturbed with halter horses' conformation. They really need to stop placing horses that are going to be lame by the time they are 5. That much muscle on those awful legs just doesn't work, the horses aren't made to stay sound...