The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Rice Bran? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/rice-bran-118052/)

AbbyLee 03-28-2012 10:00 PM

Rice Bran?

I have a 16-year-old mare who is a poor keeper. I'm always trying to get her weight up. I've heard rice bran is a good fat supplement. Does anyone recommend it?

MyBoyPuck 03-28-2012 10:11 PM

Love rice bran. Most horses love it. Helps them gain weight and gives their coat a nice shine. Just make sure whatever brand you buy says "stabilized rice bran". Rice bran has a negative calcium/phosphorus ratio. The stabilized part fixes that.

Horse Poor 03-28-2012 10:16 PM

You're thinking of fortified (balanced phosphorus to calcium ratio) stabilized means it won't go bad while stored which high fat feeds will do quickly…so what she wants is both stabilized and fortified rice bran.

MyBoyPuck 03-28-2012 10:18 PM

Oops. Thanks for the correction. It's been years since I fed rice bran. I turned my TB into a fatty on Omegatin.

AlexS 03-28-2012 10:24 PM

Love it!!! Can't say enough good things about it, the effect on my gelding was so fast and steady.

Jumper12 03-28-2012 10:28 PM

rice bran is definitely good many horses love it some dont though, my horse LOVES is with warm water added. you can test things like that out with your horse if you decide to feed it, just make sure you dont over feed it. i cant remember the max that is okay to feed--hopefully someone else does!
you can try other fat supplements as well. i really like cool calories 100, it has 5x the fat of rice bran and you dont have to feed very much of it.
good luck! i feel you pain in the easy keeper department :p

Jumper12 03-28-2012 10:29 PM

sorry i was king of rambling lol

WildAcreFarms 03-30-2012 04:44 AM

My horses do really well on the cool calories too.

MissKriss 03-30-2012 06:46 AM

I feed my filly rice bran now too to get some weight on her, ive only had her for three weeks now - so far so good other than she tied up the other night. Ive been told about cool calories before and was tempted to try it out but i was curious as to if it was a energy boosting or does it contain sweet products? Im trying to steer clear of sugary/sweet feeds...
Posted via Mobile Device

Jumper12 03-30-2012 08:46 AM

it doesnt contain sugar or carbs, its pretty much just fat. and its really concentrated so you only need to feed a few ounces.