The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Rear riser pad recommendations (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/rear-riser-pad-recommendations-118056/)

msulli22 03-28-2012 11:23 PM

Rear riser pad recommendations

Hello,

I was hoping someone could recommend a rear riser pad. On my horse, the cantle of my saddle sits much lower than the pommel because of his build. I borrowed an older riser pad to try, but I didn't like how unstable it felt when I rode-- I could feel it compress and hear it hiss every time I posted and sat, so I'm looking for recommendations before I buy one.

I am simply looking for recommendations, not information on saddle fitting or shims. I respect others' opinions to equip their horses as they wish, but I have done my research. I intend to get a rear riser, I'd just don't know which one.

Thanks!

Thyme 03-29-2012 12:46 AM

I would go for the old foam Keyhole risers, I have also heard them refered as the Lolly Pop risers.

I also need one, I tried to get fancy, I got a lolly pop one that was some other material then foam and it continueously slides back and out.It really doesnt squish or give at all.

Then I got ROMA PROTEK Original CC Riser Saddle Pad All Purpose Saddle Pads English HorseLoverZ.com and it completely changes how your saddle fits, you can't even feel the horse anymore and it makes your saddle really unstable. Used it 3 times and exiled it to the loft.

My friend got this one EQ Innovations Riser Pad Technically Advanced Saddle Pads English HorseLoverZ.com and it also would just slide out the back and she lost it 3 times cantering on a 30 min ride!

I have just order a good foam one with a fleece cover, I have been borrowing one from my trainer and they work far better then any of the other 3 I've dealt with.

Keyhole Riser with Fleece Cover - Statelinetack.com

They are also the least amount of money I wish I wouldn't have tried to get fancy and just went for the good old style.

Thyme 03-29-2012 12:51 AM

Oh I have also considered this one
WINTEC Comfort Saddle Pad with Lift Back Technically Advanced Saddle Pads English HorseLoverZ.com

I have a standard wintec comfort saddle pad, that I LOVE it, so I have been looking at this. . .

tinyliny 03-29-2012 01:39 AM

would something like this work?

Cashel Company

I don't like it if the pad is not graduated evenly; no thick edge to it. It should be a gently wedge.

or this one, for jump saddles:

http://www.cashelcompany.com/product...ProductID=9210

unclearthur 03-29-2012 08:24 AM

If you must use a riser, and few correctly fitted saddles need them in my experience, I've found these to be one of the best.

Prolite Adjustable Riser Relief Pads

Not sure if you can get them over there, though.

Cavalrytales Blog