The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Horse Is Starting To Get On My Nerves!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horse-starting-get-my-nerves-1181/)

bolly 03-19-2007 03:54 PM

Horse Is Starting To Get On My Nerves!!!

Whenever i take my horse to the mounting block, he just rears and runs off. Any methods of getting him to the mounting block with out making him rear?

Also, he is very green. He is very active. Any ways of calming him down? he is also very nervy.

kristy 03-19-2007 04:02 PM

What breed is he?
What is he fed?
How much turn out does he get?
What do you mean "only certain floor work?" Ground work should be mastered before jumping into a saddle, it is essential.

bolly 03-20-2007 07:27 AM

i said a certain amount, he is young and i dont like pushing him to hard.

kristy 03-20-2007 03:41 PM

Um.. :?:

There are a million possibilities. Considering the amount of information you gave me, it could be anything. But if you took time to answer my questions, I would take time to answer and quite possibly help you.

Horse_love999 03-20-2007 06:07 PM

well maybe hes a little spooky about what it is and when you mount so you swing your leg over, do you swing it over fast? Cause that mite spook or hurt him

bolly 03-20-2007 06:10 PM

no, i just go at .. normal pace! lol

pantha1 03-21-2007 03:23 AM

Hi,

I agree with Kirsty, you need to give more information for others to help you,
for instance if the horse has come of the track it may be detoxing,
If you are giving him feeds that heat him, like oats, then that will only make him flightier.
Do you have control of the horse on the ground, or does the horse have control of you. this means is he pushy, does he respect your space, does he kick when you brush him, or pick up his feet, can you leed him or does he leed you, etc.

You may consider finding someone close to you, who knows about horses to re-educate the horse and teach you how to handle him.

Wallis 03-28-2007 02:44 PM

He needs to learn that the mounting block is a nice place to be. Take him there when you are not intending on riding and stand there quietly with him. Give him treat and loves. Then take him away from the block and make him move in circles or backwards, whatever, as long as he is not standing and relaxing. Then go back to the block and show him what a nice experience it is there. You are going to have to repeat this as often as posible. Even once you have managed to get on, do the same thing - stand quietly and stroke him.
Finally, check that he is not sore from the saddle or something, he may not want to be ridden because he is in pain.
Good luck

Desert Rat 03-28-2007 04:33 PM

There is something about the mounting block that is spooking him. As to green and active there is only one cure for this, a lot of wet saddle blankets. He just needs a lot more rideing. After rideing him and wearing him down some lead him to the block. Don't try to mount. Repeat this sveral times till he gets used to the block. He may be spooking at you being above him when you are on the block. This is a natural reaction due to in the wild a horses main preditor is mountain lions and they usually drop from above to their back. It seems to be bred into them. One thing you might try that has worked well for me with mustangs and mules is to sit on the top fence rail and slowly work your animal towards you till they get used to something being above them.

tumai 03-29-2007 03:34 AM

Hey Bolly, Wallis is onto something! I agree, patience darling he's young and you can show him how to be confident with the mounting block by using the method Wallis explained. :) If you are patient enough you can teach him to be a big brave boy, He's not being naughty he's just not confident....You can do this! :)

Try not to be rough or thrash him, he will only learn to resent you...firm but fair and kind will build his confidence in you. :)