The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Scared to canter after fall (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/scared-canter-after-fall-118107/)

EbonyandLizzy 03-29-2012 02:00 PM

Scared to canter after fall

Hi.
I am 15 years old and I recently started loaining a 22 year old, 15hh Connemara- Thoroughbred cross mare. She is absoloutely lovely and i love her to bits but about 3 weeks ago on the first week i had her, i had a fall.

I was in the paddock at about 7 o clock (it was quite dark) and my dad and sister were stood watching. We were doing fine at first and we had a normal, calm canter but then she started getting really fast in trot. I misread the signs and figured she wanted to canter so i got her into canter. After the first stride, she bucked and started galloping. As i am used to riding-school horses i had no experience of this behaviour so i decided to just sit it out until she slowed down. I tried pulling on the reins but this made her even fatser. I was getting more and more freaked out and scared. It was the first time i had galloped and i wasn't ready for it. After about 5 mins of full-galloping round the paddock i fell off. I was unhurt and i got straight back on her and rode her round the paddock.

At the time, i thought it didnt bother me as falling off doesnt really scare me. But i haven't cantered her since the incident because i seem to have a fear of her going fast. Everytime i nearly get her into canter, i bring her back to trot because i panic. Even though all the other times i have cantered her she has been fine, i am still scared to do it.:?

I know i should get back into cantering because i know if i do it, i will feel great. Its just actually doing it! I also feel it is putting me off riding her as i feel we both get bored.

Any help please? Also, she has a VERY bouncy canter and i find it hard to sit. Any tips on that? Thanks:) Lizzy x

tinyliny 03-29-2012 02:12 PM

no tips really. just a comment to reassure you that your discomfort will fade. it happens to everyone.

EbonyandLizzy 03-29-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1429863)
no tips really. just a comment to reassure you that your discomfort will fade. it happens to everyone.

Thank you :)

nvr2many 03-29-2012 02:25 PM

Been there done that. And you are lucky that your so young. Wow, I had a bad fall a year ago and am just now getting my confidence back. Older bones really do not bounce as well as young ones. :wink: I agree that this will fade with time. Glad you are ok!

Cinder 03-29-2012 03:19 PM

I had a little bit of apprehension after one of my more recent falls. I take lessons, though, so I don't really have a choice in what I do and that helps me a little because I can only be scared for a few seconds before I have to do something. Maybe have someone act as your "instructor" for a few days or simply wait for it to go away with time. Good luck!

Barry Godden 03-29-2012 04:17 PM

Lizzy - as the others have said - you have made a common mistake.
If you are learning to drive, then you'll pick something not too fast and a little dull, but you have to learn on something steady. You mustn't buy a sports car to learn on.

Now that 22 y/old can show you a thing or two, but first you have to learn how to sit quietly on it, and not excite it. You probably touched an accelerator inadvertently. Well done for getting back on.

The best thing is for you to go back to that school horse and ask the tutor to explain how to get it to canter. You'll find that most school horses are a bit lazy and even if they will canter, they don't go fast even if you kick them in the ribs.

Teaching someone to ride is a skilled job, your mates and your family aren't always the best folks to teach, even though they know how to ride themselves. Try again (and you don't have to canter until you know how to work the brakes).

PS You were wearing a riding hat - weren't you!

EbonyandLizzy 03-30-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Godden (Post 1430025)
Lizzy - as the others have said - you have made a common mistake.
If you are learning to drive, then you'll pick something not too fast and a little dull, but you have to learn on something steady. You mustn't buy a sports car to learn on.

Now that 22 y/old can show you a thing or two, but first you have to learn how to sit quietly on it, and not excite it. You probably touched an accelerator inadvertently. Well done for getting back on.

The best thing is for you to go back to that school horse and ask the tutor to explain how to get it to canter. You'll find that most school horses are a bit lazy and even if they will canter, they don't go fast even if you kick them in the ribs.

Teaching someone to ride is a skilled job, your mates and your family aren't always the best folks to teach, even though they know how to ride themselves. Try again (and you don't have to canter until you know how to work the brakes).

PS You were wearing a riding hat - weren't you!

Yes i was wearing a hat :) Thanks for your advice- i think it will help alot.:D

EbonyandLizzy 03-30-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinder (Post 1429936)
I had a little bit of apprehension after one of my more recent falls. I take lessons, though, so I don't really have a choice in what I do and that helps me a little because I can only be scared for a few seconds before I have to do something. Maybe have someone act as your "instructor" for a few days or simply wait for it to go away with time. Good luck!

Yes, i am thinking of getting a couple of private lesson with a mobile instructor because it helps alot to have someone telling you what to do. I think I work better when i have a knowledgeable person stood there shouting instructions at me. :-) Thanks for your help!

flyingchange1991 03-30-2012 12:15 PM

this happens to everyone! trust me if they say it doesnt, they are lying like a coonhound on the front porch! by the way, good for you for sticking it out and getting back on! i have had many bad falls (all seemed to happen in a row) what can really help get your confidence back in the canter is to take lungeline lessons, it will help you focus what you are doing with your seat and help you get more secure in the saddle, it worked wonders for me, im still shakey with cantering too so no worries your not alone!

EbonyandLizzy 03-30-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingchange1991 (Post 1431259)
this happens to everyone! trust me if they say it doesnt, they are lying like a coonhound on the front porch! by the way, good for you for sticking it out and getting back on! i have had many bad falls (all seemed to happen in a row) what can really help get your confidence back in the canter is to take lungeline lessons, it will help you focus what you are doing with your seat and help you get more secure in the saddle, it worked wonders for me, im still shakey with cantering too so no worries your not alone!

Thank you! I have always been a bit nervous of cantering horses, escpecially if they are hard to sit to. I guess i just need to get used to it. Thanks for your help :-)