The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Forget politics! I have a 3yr old... (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/forget-politics-i-have-3yr-old-118135/)

busysmurf 03-29-2012 08:13 PM

Forget politics! I have a 3yr old...

Seeing as how we're all coming up with some good ideas for our country, I need some good ideas for my 3 yr old!! I am out of discipline ideas:evil: I count to three...he keeps on counting. I remove him from the situation, he just finds another one. I tell him if he doesn't stop being naughty, he'll get a time out...he just walks over to the time out spot on his own, sits there quietly for a few minutes. Then when I talk to him about what he was doing that was naughty and ask if he'll do it again, he says "no", before the words get out of his mouth he goes right back to doing whatever it was he was doing that got him in trouble.

We've taken toys away, he goes and finds a different one:-x He has a VERY high volume button that seems to be broken, I've told him I will only listen to him if he doesn't yell. Ask me how that's working:evil::evil::evil:?

We live in town, so using duct tape on him isn't an option, someone might see:wink: I take him to the barn with me to try and let him burn off some energy... I think he's solar powered:? The more he's outside, the more energy he has.

I'm out of ideas!!!!! The girl was SOOOOOOO much easier at this age, sigh

MissColors 03-30-2012 12:58 PM

Might be at the mentality to start spanking. Hate to say it that way. But some children need it more than others. Not saying bust out the belt. Just a swat or two on the butt should do fine. Count first. That way you giving him some sort of warning.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lindze 03-30-2012 01:09 PM

This is where we are with our two year old girl.... Fortunately she has grandma to go terrorize when mom is thinking of going childless again.... Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

kevinshorses 03-30-2012 01:11 PM

Spank him before you get mad. If regular spanking doesn't work then get a ping pong paddle and hang it on the wall. When he does something deserving of the paddle then make HIM go and get the paddle. It probably hurts less than your hand and the extra time it takes him to go get it will make the punishment that much harsher. I'm don't spank often but when I do I make sure that it's effective and prompt. I think it's better for the child to get a spanking and then get everything back to normal as soon as possible rather than draw out a punishment and mentally torture the kid. My kids have never had timeouts and rarely have I taken toys away from them but I've often gotten after them about something and then let them choose the punishment if it happens the next time. That way they know it's fair because they suggested it and they also know whats going to happen.

Poco1220 03-30-2012 01:15 PM

For the volume issue try talking to him only in a whisper. I noticed my 3 year old also calms down considerably when we leave the TV off all day. No sugar at all seems to help some also. But all in all I think it's part of being a 3 year old boy.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 03-30-2012 01:16 PM

I am fully for spanking. The world seems so against it now-a-days but my dad used to spank us kids. I think I got 2 in my whole childhood...LoL. It worked for me! :-)

It's almost like a "Come to Jesus" meeting with a horse. LoL!

FlyGap 03-30-2012 01:33 PM

Love the ideas, especially the talking in a whisper!

For our kid we used a couple methods:
1. spanking, once was all it took with a very thin wooden kitchen utensil. Now it's on a shelf, all we have to do is mention it.
2. Use incentives REGULARLY and on a schedule and only for particular behaviors. We set goals for her to reach and then she gets a reward. Some people liken it to bribery BUT isn't everything good achieved through goals and rewards?
My kid is the top of her class. The teachers asked me how we got our kid to concentrate so hard on the details... Well... She gets paid for it! LOL!
Introducing money at an early age in moderation isn't exactly a bad idea. I know, some parents will say I'm paying mine off! But instilling good behavior and a hard work ethic that results in rewards and CASH money can only help them in the long run.
3. I taught my child the same way I do my dogs! That's really all I knew to do.
So if I saw her about to do something wrong I didn't yell at her because she would become used to it. I just take a small intake of breath and she stops DEAD in her tracks, like my dogs! Yelling and raising my voice is for REALLY dangerous situations and that means hit the ground and stop instantly. She cries if I yell because it scares her and means something is about to get her.

Boys, ugh. Little crazy animals! I use my techniques with my OUTTA CONTROL nephew and he responds pretty well to me now! Of course his dad and my MIL think I'm nuts but I'm not having a kid around that doesn't listen and could possibly get hurt on my watch.

LetAGrlShowU 03-30-2012 01:34 PM

Wish I had some advice, but I have to commend you, at least he goes to time out and stays quiet for a few minutes! I have a 6 year old who throws violent tantrums and still dont know what to do even with the enlisted help of 3 professionals. MY heart is with you. Whatever it is, make sure its effective. Spanking my daughter went nowhere. I think it actually made her think its of to hit. With that said, I am all for spanking. Most people are not, and its actually interesting to see all these horse people agree- we must all be of the same mindset hahaha.

CLaPorte432 03-30-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetAGrlShowU (Post 1431413)
Wish I had some advice, but I have to commend you, at least he goes to time out and stays quiet for a few minutes! I have a 6 year old who throws violent tantrums and still dont know what to do even with the enlisted help of 3 professionals. MY heart is with you. Whatever it is, make sure its effective. Spanking my daughter went nowhere. I think it actually made her think its of to hit. With that said, I am all for spanking. Most people are not, and its actually interesting to see all these horse people agree- we must all be of the same mindset hahaha.

I bet it's the PETA activists that raise a riot for spanking. :rofl:

Anyone ever hear of any studies that prove that spanking leads to a stable adulthood? Ex: Not in prison, trouble makers, drugs, violence etc. Or that non-spanking households lead to more violent adults because they don't have that type of discipline? (Does that make sense? LoL)

Faceman 03-30-2012 01:50 PM

My father, who was a Sgt. Major in the Army and a strong disciplinarian, did a bit more than "spank", but he never had to do it for the same thing twice...