The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Things to do to bond with your horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/things-do-bond-your-horse-118203/)

FreeDestiny 03-30-2012 01:03 PM

Things to do to bond with your horse?

I'm trying to spend more time bonding with Destiny as she's been working really hard lately and every ride is a workout.

I've been given the ok to go out to the barn and ride/do whatever with her for a couple of days, and I'm looking for things to do. :D

I've spent time grooming her, rode her in a halter, tried to teach her to bow (kinda difficult with her bad knee :( ) and we've done some join-up. But now I'm at a loss..

Are there any fun things you do with your horse to bond/just play around with them? I'd love to hear them! :D

Thanks in advance!
Posted via Mobile Device

MissColors 03-30-2012 01:11 PM

Teach her to play fetch and voice commands. Like her name and to stand. Go on walks with her and take her out to a field to graze other than her own paddock.
Posted via Mobile Device

BlueSpark 03-30-2012 01:12 PM

just walking and hand grazing are always good. As a change sometimes i'll pony them off another horse.

HorsesAreMyPassion 03-30-2012 01:13 PM

You could try taking her on a relaxing ride out in the fields or trails, or even hand walking if you don't want to ride her.

DraftyAiresMum 03-30-2012 01:17 PM

Two words: trail walks.

That's all I did with Aires for the first three months I had him because he wasn't broke to ride. Now, hardly anything spooks him (except for the goat across the street that he is convinced is going to eat him) and a lot of the time, I can walk him with the lead flipped over his back and my hands free.

myQHpaul 03-30-2012 02:12 PM

I agree with hand walking, trail walks, and long brushings. I talk to Sonny the entire time I brush him out and when I run out of things to say, I sing to him :) He is always a captive audience.

BooBear 03-30-2012 08:07 PM

Sometimes I just leave Blaze in his stall and I sit down on the stall floor and sing to him. Or I just sit there and watch him and he watches me.

OuttatheBlue 03-30-2012 08:37 PM

Or if you like running take her jogging with you :) I loved jogging beside the road with my horse, we would get the funniest looks.

Northernstar 03-30-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BooBear (Post 1431961)
Sometimes I just leave Blaze in his stall and I sit down on the stall floor and sing to him. Or I just sit there and watch him and he watches me.

I do the same thing with my mare in her shed on nasty rainy/snowstorm days -she loves it!!!

Michelle93 03-30-2012 10:52 PM

If I'm in a good mood when brushing I usually sing to her, or if I'm having a bit of a bad day I'll just talk to her about whatever is bugging me. She doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about but she still seems to enjoy it.