The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wearing your hair for Hunters

18K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  bettyb 
#1 ·
Ok Hunter/Jumpers, enlighten this Eventer! :lol: I have long hair that won't all fit under my helmet without giving me a MASSIVE headache...what are your tricks to either get your hair to fit, or if it cannot, how would you wear it in the Hunter ring?

In dressage it's easy, I just have one of these...

But as far as I know, Hunters all pretty much have their hair under their helmets. My horse and I want to try out some Hunter shows this summer just to see how we like it and for a change of pace...so any tips are much appreciated! :wink:

See less See more
#4 ·
put a hairnet over your head, covering your ears and put your hair that lays against your head into. if you have long hair leave the bottom out. put it in a pony tail which includes the hair net then flip the pony tail up and put your helmet on. pull up the hairnet part that is on your ears to it just holds the top part of your ears against your head. make sure there are no loose ends. at the end it should look like this RWR® No Knot Hair Net | Dover Saddlery
i hope this makes sense lol you may need someone to show you or do it for you the first few times :p

#21 ·
put a hairnet over your head, covering your ears and put your hair that lays against your head into. if you have long hair leave the bottom out. put it in a pony tail which includes the hair net then flip the pony tail up and put your helmet on. pull up the hairnet part that is on your ears to it just holds the top part of your ears against your head. make sure there are no loose ends. at the end it should look like this RWR® No Knot Hair Net | Dover Saddlery
i hope this makes sense lol you may need someone to show you or do it for you the first few times :p
I saw a girl at my barn do this last night (the new H/J barn I just moved to!!) so now your post all makes sense, I put the written with the visual :lol: I'm going to give it a try tonight!!

#5 ·
for hunters i would not wear your hair in a bun !

what i do is first put all my hair in a hair net. then put it is a low pony tail. then i lean over and flip it on top of my head and flatten it out. this is pretty easy to do since its in the hair net already. i make sure its covering the top bit of my ear [this is the only part i leave out when im eventing bc i hate it !] and put my helmet on !

#6 ·
When I showed hunters many moons ago, my mom or sister would do a very tight upside down french braid starting the braid at the nape of your neck and ending at your forehead. Then just tucked the end back under and netted it. I have very thick hair and that was the easiest way to manage it.

#8 ·
I agree with gypsygirl, DO NOT wear your hair in a bun.
It looks tacky and makes you look inexperienced and very beginner-ish. Hence why you can usually get away with a bun in very low level and non-rated shows. Hunters need to be neat and tidy which means all your hair up in your helmet! :)
I put up my hair the same way gypsygirl does and it work great. Unless your hair weighs 50 pounds, you can get it in there. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

#12 ·
My show helmet is just a little big, maybe a size or two. That way I can do like Jumper12 said comfertably :p It's not like I'll get a whole lot of protection anyway with my hair all up in there :/ I've always hated that rule - comprimises safety!! Anywho, I have like, the thickest hair alive ... So try that :p Of course, my schooling helmet fits perfectly :)

#13 ·
I have very long hair, too.

I braid it tightly, then take the end and put it on the top of my head. I pull my helmet on over the braid (my helmet is a half size big...not so much as to be a sloppy fit). It may have a small loop at the back of the helmet, which looks kind of like a bun, but neater. Sorry, I don't stand in front of a camera much, so don't have a pic of how it looks.

#14 ·
I just cut my hair really short soley for the purpose of being able to pile my hair under my helmet. I'm also getting a Charles Owen helmet soon, and when I got fitted for it, they made it so that it would work with all of my hair.

It's rather ridiculous, and personally I think that the whole putting the hair over the top of your ears thing is ridiculous and tacky. But, hey, whatever's trending, right? xD

#16 ·
Helmets weren't designed to have your hair piled up on top of your head. The fit isn't correct.

I french braid my hair, cover it with a hairnet to keep the wisps that always escape in. The braid is done up like a hunter braid with a clip/net combo like you posted. It's not this bun that hangs down my back, but looks like a little button under the back of my helmet.

Your appearance needs to be neat, but it should also be safe. As long as you don't look disheveled or have a ponytail hanging out the back you should fall within the guidelines.

#17 ·
when i got my helmet i found one that fit with my hair in it, and it still fits great, really snug but not to the point where my head is being squeezed to death or anything. im not a fan of the getting one a few sizes too big to have room to stuff your hair into it. then its not necessarily going to fit right and if you usually wear your hair down it will be too loose most of the time. i just got mine fit for how i intended to ride in it, with my hair up.
i used to do the braid thing where you just have your hair in a french braid and fold it up but now i do the more "hunter" type hairstyle i described before and it seems to work well. i dont have super long hair though, like shoulder length and average thickness.

#22 ·
When I put my hair up, I use two hair nets (as do many of the girls at my barn)

I use the first hairnet like others users described...putting it over my head and then making a low, tight pony tail with the hairnet + hair. Then I flip my head over and put the second hairnet on from back to front to help keep my extra ponytail hair tidy and tight against my head, twisting the front of the hairnet and tucking it under the bottom hairnet to make sure everything is secure. Then I flip my head over again and put my helmet on from back to front, making sure to get all of my hair in there :) Sometimes it takes a few tries before everything is comfortably settled but it works for me!

I do it because my hair is a bit longer and the second hairnet stops hair from poking over my forehead, haha.

I actually need to cut my hair again...my helmet is getting a tiny bit tight. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.