The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   I Fell? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/i-fell-118249/)

sweetxsour35 03-30-2012 09:22 PM

I Fell?

So I fell off today and I landed on my hip and it's kind of tough to walk, should I see a doctor? Would it be safe to get a new helmet as well?
Posted via Mobile Device

DaraT 03-30-2012 09:45 PM

I would go see the doctor. A few years back I also fell and twisted my ankle (I thought). Didn't want to worry about it, so I finished my lesson. Then rode my 2 yr old green broke filly for an hour. When I got home about 4 hours after the fall, my family was horrified at the sight of my ankle and convinced me to go to the dr. Good thing they did. I broke my ankle so bad that it required surgery and 2 screws to fix it.

As far as the helmet goes, this is my rule of thumb: If your head hits anything in a fall, DEFINITELY change the helmet.

I've just become a little more cautious as I get older. My body parts don't heal as fast as they used to.

justxride97 03-30-2012 09:57 PM

Yeah- Go to the doctor just to be sure your okay. And if you hit your helmet at all on the ground it would be safe to get a new helmet. But if your helmet didn't touch the ground then your okay. :) Glad your okay though!

sweetxsour35 03-30-2012 10:03 PM

Yeah I should definitely change my helmet then. I rolled a few times and my helmet bounced against my head, causing me to get a slight bump on my forehead. My head doesn't hurt though, so that's a good sign. I will go see a doctor though, just to be safe.
Posted via Mobile Device

sweetxsour35 03-30-2012 10:05 PM

I think it could've been worse. Thank God for helmets!
Posted via Mobile Device

BooBear 03-30-2012 10:05 PM

Maybe I'm just not as cautious as everybody else, but I wouldn't go to the doctor yet- I'd wait and see how it feels tomorrow, unless the pain is absolutely unbearable. Sometimes after falling it gets difficult to walk, but sometimes something'll pop or stretch back to where it's supposed to be and the pain goes away. xD If you still hurt in the morning, though, by all means, go see a doctor.

Edit: Slight bump on your forehead? o.o That kinda scares me more than hurting your hip. I retract my statement about waiting to see the doctor. Possible head injuries are no fun.

sweetxsour35 03-31-2012 02:28 PM

Good news: I didn't break anything :D tack shop's closed today though, so I'll swing by tomorrow for a new helmet.
Posted via Mobile Device

BooBear 03-31-2012 02:36 PM

That's awesome news! You'll be back in the saddle in no time xD