The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Please Judge Horse and Rider (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/please-judge-horse-rider-118280/)

1getAlife2rideAhorse 03-31-2012 02:18 AM

Please Judge Horse and Rider

1 Attachment(s)
Please Judge me and my 18 year old Appendix gelding, Dusty :) Thank you!

Summer

Klassic Superstar 03-31-2012 02:34 AM

I think you both look great! He's even in front and behind! Your body looks great, relaxed but back in the shoulders, hands look good, your looking up past the jump. Looks like a smooth jump. Your lower leg looks steady and supportive to your upper body :) great picture!

94broncoxlt 03-31-2012 05:33 AM

You need to get up off his neck a bit more. The horse's jumping looks great. It's hard to tell from the angle of the picture but your toes are pointing slightly outward. Your eye is up and that is great! It over all looks good, just needs a little fine tuning. You will want to start considering automatic release when you are ready!

Saskia 03-31-2012 08:01 AM

Just had to say I love your horses colour! So bright.

I can't quite see in the picture but it looks like you may be leaning a little on your horses neck? Make sure you can carry your own hands. :)

1getAlife2rideAhorse 04-04-2012 02:41 PM

Thanks You guys! Can anyone explain what you mean by get off his neck a little more?

ElaineLighten 04-04-2012 03:23 PM

your position is lovely!

94broncoxlt 04-04-2012 08:47 PM

It looks like you are doing 2'. When you are jumping fences around this height, you don't need to come up so forward during takeoff. So look at your picture, look at your hip angle, and imagine yourself closer to a verticle position. The hip stays, but the upper body does not reach so far forward over a jump this size. Over bigger fences you get closer and closer to the withers out of nessessity.
I hope that helps. Over a fence this size you don't need to come so far forward. Remember that we go into this postion based upon Caprilli's findings that you need to keep from inhibiting the horse when it jumps. You only need to go so far forward with your upper body as the jump and horse's jumping style requires. You are definately not inhibiting your horse here, but it would be in better 'form' to separate your upper body farther from his withers over the fence this size. As you get into higher jumps, imagine you are just coming into that takeoff position to keep from hindering the horse and to communicate the best. Your horse will tuck his knees in much higher and have a more vertical takeoff - so your takeoff position is only slightly changed only of compensate for the bigger jumps. Ohh dear I hope I haven't been confusing. Don't get me wrong, you look GOOD! But for the sake of 'judging' I thought I would point this out for ya. Start thinking about following his mouth with a straight line from elbow to bit - if you practice and are strong enough, it will help communication better than a crest release.

Standardbredrider01 07-30-2012 11:08 PM

Awesome! I would just suggest leaning a little more forward higher on his neck

horseanimal11 07-31-2012 02:43 PM

First of all, your horse looks amazing for 18. Just wanted to say that. I know it's not all that old, but he looks a lot younger to me.

Okay, I would try to open up my hip angle over the fence. You're pretty close to his neck, and if he throws his head up or trips when he lands he might hit you in the face by accident :P not to mention it puts more weight over his shoulder. Try to stay closer to your normal sitting position. If you can, put a bit more weight in your heel. Overall, though, your position is good: your leg is stable, your toes are higher than your heels, and you have a good large release. Kudos!