The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   How can i bond with my new horse (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/how-can-i-bond-my-new-118306/)

Ponylover123 03-31-2012 11:33 AM

How can i bond with my new horse

i want to know ways that i can get my new horse to be my friend

MissKriss 03-31-2012 12:19 PM

Interacting with her. By giving her ques and making her respect you. Almost anytime you are with your horse you can bond in some way.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ponylover123 03-31-2012 12:39 PM

thanks

yadlim 03-31-2012 12:48 PM

My favorite way to bond with a new horse is a bit unconventional. And it requires some supplies.

1) A blanket or folding chair
2) A good book
3) A bag of goodies
4) A radio (or iPod with speakers)
5) time

It goes like this, park your self, dressed appropiately for the weather (sunbathing or bundled for warmth) in the middle of the horse's paddock turn on your radio and start reading out loud. Horses who like people are drawn in like flies. Soon you will have company. Give occasional treats, but not too many, and just read out loud. Get your horse used to your voice and that your voice means occasional treats.

If the horse has a sense of humor, they will try to steal stuff from you, turn it into a game, and have fun. Ideally sit/lay there and scratch a horse leg while you read to them. Do this for hours, on several occasions. You will find you will build a strong friendship that will last forever.

This is how I used to start all the untouched hores I was given to train. It works like a charm and makes for a relaxing afternoon. But be warned, some horses love to steal your hat. You have never seen anything so funny as watching a 16 hand horse 'sneak' up behind you to steal your hat.

Ponylover123 03-31-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yadlim (Post 1432828)
My favorite way to bond with a new horse is a bit unconventional. And it requires some supplies.

1) A blanket or folding chair
2) A good book
3) A bag of goodies
4) A radio (or iPod with speakers)
5) time

It goes like this, park your self, dressed appropiately for the weather (sunbathing or bundled for warmth) in the middle of the horse's paddock turn on your radio and start reading out loud. Horses who like people are drawn in like flies. Soon you will have company. Give occasional treats, but not too many, and just read out loud. Get your horse used to your voice and that your voice means occasional treats.

If the horse has a sense of humor, they will try to steal stuff from you, turn it into a game, and have fun. Ideally sit/lay there and scratch a horse leg while you read to them. Do this for hours, on several occasions. You will find you will build a strong friendship that will last forever.

This is how I used to start all the untouched hores I was given to train. It works like a charm and makes for a relaxing afternoon. But be warned, some horses love to steal your hat. You have never seen anything so funny as watching a 16 hand horse 'sneak' up behind you to steal your hat.

i will try this

jillybean19 03-31-2012 10:18 PM

I jumped the gun on my new horse, taking it for granted that he was already green broke and I could ride him. All the horses we've bought for the last ten years were as 18mo olds, so we had to spend a lot of time brushing and feeding them before they were ever "worked", which equates to bonding. But with him, I just jumped and rode every time I went to see him. He hadn't really been ridden regularly before I bought him and he got harder and harder to catch. After about three weeks of this, we really hit our low point when I had to have someone rope him a week ago. In other words DONT DO THIS :P

On the other hand, since then, we tried a few "discipline" approaches to letting me catch him, which just ended up in discouragement and frustration. What HAS worked is to spend time with my other horse, brushing and petting, and giving the hard-to-catch a chance to approach on his own when he felt like it. When he did, I initially gave him a treat and then went back to my other horse. Once he was coming to me consistently, i started moving around his body and petting him, giving him more treats. Now, when I turn them out in the arena, HE is coming to ME and has no problem with me haltering him because he knows I mean treats and love! We're still working and tomorrow I'm going to turn him out with more horses to make sure he's still interested in coming to me with a "herd", but we're definitely headed in the right direction!

Hopefully your horse is much more willing to be with you than mine was last week, but it just goes to show that time for *him* with treats and brushing and pampering, as opposed to *me* time for riding and work, goes a long way in helping your horse be interested in being with you! Congrats on your new horse!

Cherie 04-01-2012 04:18 PM

He is a 'herd animal'. Forget trying to make him like you.

Only worry about getting his absolute and total respect.

He will then look up to you as the true herd leader in his life and will respect you -- no matter what.

And, suddenly, he will act as though he 'loves' you (or at lest likes you), will probably meet you at the gate and will follow you everywhere -- at least that is what mine do -- and I have NEVER 'played' with them, sat and spent time with them and never give treats -- ever. I am also not the person that feeds them.

Actually, as a pack animal, dogs make better pets and, do things for the sake of loving you. Horses just don't.

Oxer 04-01-2012 04:29 PM

I'm with Cherie on this one. Not to mention respect and trust take time. Sometimes, a lot of time. So don't rush it. I've had my gelding for almost a year now... and i'm still learning a lot about him. But one thing is for sure... my trainer and i are THE BOSS. Period.

Lauryn Fearless 04-01-2012 04:47 PM

The first 6 months that I had my TB mare in high school, all I could do was brush her, tack her up and lunge. I hadn't been riding consistently enough to be able to be the person to put miles on her (she had been out to pasture for 4 years and was an OTTB), I just didn't have the confidence. At first I resented only doing the "grunt work" while my trainer got to ride, but later, when I did get to ride her, we had bonded and I was able to trust her to take care of me. Some people have horses to work. Some for companions, some to show and some a combination of both.

Lauryn Fearless 04-01-2012 04:53 PM

by both I mean all of the above lol. My roomie walked in and I hit send too soon. Point is, everyone approaches the level of interaction with their horse differently. Choose what is going to be right for you. For me, bonding and trusting each other on the ground, hanging out and playing games helps me be confident in my horse, which in turn helps me to be confident as a rider/ owner/ authority figure. For others that might not work!