The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Has anyone splurged on a Cavallo western pad? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/has-anyone-splurged-cavallo-western-pad-118310/)

COWCHICK77 03-31-2012 12:18 PM

Has anyone splurged on a Cavallo western pad?

I seen one article about Cavallo's western pads, it seemed to get good reviews.
Wondering if anyone here has spent the big bucks on one and if it was worth the $200 plus price tag.

Sunrise4me 02-26-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COWCHICK77 (Post 1432793)
I seen one article about Cavallo's western pads, it seemed to get good reviews.
Wondering if anyone here has spent the big bucks on one and if it was worth the $200 plus price tag.

Did you ever buy it? I am having the same dilemma. I've tried everything for my high-withered TWH and just don't know what to try next so thought about this one.

Wanstrom Horses 02-26-2013 10:25 PM

It just screams sores to me. But I don't know, that kind of backing has always sored the living Hell out of all my horses. But what can I say, I've never tried one..

Sunrise4me 02-26-2013 10:30 PM

The one I'm looking at is reversible, so foam on one side and wool on the other. I think I'd put the wool side down against the horse's back. Yeah, it's a gamble alright. I already have afew hundred dollars worth of saddle pads that don't work for her. :(

tbcrazy 02-26-2013 10:32 PM

I've spent upwards of $150 on an impact gel pad with the wither cutout for my high withered tb... he really likes the pad, though I can't speak to cavallo. While pads won't fix saddle fit, I've been happy with my impact gel pad which only complements, doesn't replace, saddle fit. So, if your saddle fits properly already, it may be worth a shot!

Sunrise4me 02-26-2013 10:38 PM

LOL Tbcrazy, I was reading your thread about your narrow high-withered OTTB boy while you were posting here! :)
I have two impact gel pads and they're okay. Neither has the cutout for the withers tho'. My saddle is a Tucker and it's the narrowest tree I can buy and it's still a wee bit too big for her.

Wanstrom Horses 02-26-2013 10:40 PM

If your a western rider, why don't you try an A fork saddle with semi bars. They have fit every narrow withered horse I've put them on.

tbcrazy 02-26-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanstrom Horses (Post 1913880)
If your a western rider, why don't you try an A fork saddle with semi bars. They have fit every narrow withered horse I've put them on.

Great suggestion Wanstrom! That's exactly what I have for trail riding with my guy.

tbcrazy 02-26-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunrise4me (Post 1913876)
LOL Tbcrazy, I was reading your thread about your narrow high-withered OTTB boy while you were posting here! :)
I have two impact gel pads and they're okay. Neither has the cutout for the withers tho'. My saddle is a Tucker and it's the narrowest tree I can buy and it's still a wee bit too big for her.

Sometimes it feels like we're in one big live chat room! Bummer on the impact gel not working without the cutout, though truthfully, I don't think I'd have huge luck either without it :/

Wanstrom Horses 02-26-2013 10:44 PM

They really seem to fit everything. I won't ride anything but a slick fork wade saddle.