The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   Renegades? What hoof boots do you put on your horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/renegades-what-hoof-boots-do-you-118342/)

Thyme 03-31-2012 05:37 PM

Renegades? What hoof boots do you put on your horse?

Me and my friend ride endurance and just plain ol' trails. We ride all day and camp. We go up very rocky terrain, sandy, and clay slopes. We go through lakes and lots of creek crossings.

We ride very difficult trails, so we need dependable traction.

We are each currently looking into the Renegade horse boots.

Have you used these?

Which do you use?

Thanks!

<3

Renegade Hoof Boots. The Real Leader in Hoof Boot Technology!

MyBoyPuck 03-31-2012 05:52 PM

I use them and love them. Horse's who hate other types of boots that come up too high act like they don't know they are on there. I have had problems with the wires coming out, but then I don't think I tightened them enough when I first adjusted them. They can get stuck on things like tree roots that stick up out of the ground, which is what happened to my horse, but other than that they are great.

When you measure, go a size larger. Don't order the cutback option unless you're sure your horse's feet are really short in length. Unlike other boots, they don't have be super tight to stay on and you don't want the back of the hoof unsupported by a too-short boot size. When in doubt, just take pics of your horse's foot measurements and email the company for an opinion.

If you're going to be using them on trails, order a bright color so it's easy to find it you do lose one. I had to get black since I use them as schooling shows and they are a *itch to find in the woods.

Crimsons Clover 03-31-2012 05:56 PM

I use the easyboot edge and love that is it a customized fit for every hoof tightness wise. I go through a lot of wet grass, sucking mud, water, and rocky hills and have never lost a boot or had a traction problem. The only problem I have is that my horse cuts his ankles with the screws on the opposite boot so he has to wear splint boots or polos when I have his easyboots on.

MyBoyPuck 03-31-2012 06:00 PM

Oh I forgot, for good traction, get the boots with studs. They are a little slippery on wet grass without studs. With studs, they are fine.

Saddlebag 03-31-2012 07:34 PM

A gal who rides in the mountains prefers the Renegades. They fit below the hair line so no rubbing. She'd used the Epics but for the type of riding she does, the Renegades work best for her horse.

Thyme 04-01-2012 05:35 PM

Thanks you guys!
I think my appy has average hooves, I am having my farrier help me

Can you explain to me your experience with the Easyboot Edge boots? How easy are they to get on?

We go through deep mud I am afraid the renegade is just going to get sucked down forever lol

Crimsons Clover 04-02-2012 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thyme (Post 1434562)
Thanks you guys!
I think my appy has average hooves, I am having my farrier help me

Can you explain to me your experience with the Easyboot Edge boots? How easy are they to get on?

We go through deep mud I am afraid the renegade is just going to get sucked down forever lol

The edge opens super wide and I find them extreamly easy to get on. they are fairly priced too which is a big deal to me. My favorite part is the gaiters because it makes them near impossible to loose even in deep mud.

I know boots and wet grass aren't supposed to go well together but I have not noticed a problem at all even in irrigated hay fields and I've never used studs.

Missy May 04-07-2012 09:00 PM

I am glad I found this thread. I started a thread sometime asking if anyone had ever tried old macs and Back Country Easyboots...no response. :(
I like old macs, a lot...and the trails I ride on are a lot rougher than I wish they were...they change drastically from all potato size rocks, to dirt, to pea sized gravel, to large rock, etc., and put wear on a shoe. Old Macs hold up to it - well. BUT, they are a bear to put on - I mean, shwew!!! And, you have to train each horse to the macs on rocky terrain. Some just get it "right off", and adjust having "tennis shoes" on whilst going downhill on gravel, but some...not so much and will get ahead of themselves and slide. I imagine this is also true of the easyboots ??

So, has anyone tried the Back country ones? I love the idea they are easier to get on!!!!!

Sunny 04-07-2012 09:44 PM

I am in the process of purchasing hoof boots and I. Am. So. Confused. Too many options!

Sunny also has a funky shaped hoof, so I don't know what to do.
We never ride more than 10 miles a week, usually more like 2 or 3. I just don't know if I want a low-rise or one that goes over the coronet, or one with the pastern band thing, or with/out gaitors.... So confusing!

Another boarder just got some Easyboot Trails and I like the look of those because of the easy on/off. Just don't know if the shape is right...
Posted via Mobile Device

Crimsons Clover 04-16-2012 01:08 PM

for wierd shaped hoofs I always reccomend either the edge beacuse of the way it tightens, or the boa boots(for the same reason). I've had great results from both but prefer the edge as it has less bulk to it.