The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Need help with dentist information (for horses haha) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/need-help-dentist-information-horses-haha-118356/)

dreamster 03-31-2012 08:09 PM

Need help with dentist information (for horses haha)

Hi, I'm potentially going to be buying this horse that I've been to see, the owners have had her since birth and they owned her mum too. The mare is 7 years old and in that 7 years she has never had her teeth done. We are hoping she can get her teeth done before we buy her to make sure their is no problems that might arise out of the teeth.

I'm just worried that some major problem will come up when the dentist comes and then I will be unable to buy this horse, as she really is everything I am looking for and more.

Does anyone know of what potential problems/ not problems or whatever about horses who haven't had their teeth done in a while?
Also basically anything in general since about horse dentists would be much appreciated as I do not know much about them.

Thanks and sorry if that was super confusing. c:

waresbear 03-31-2012 08:13 PM

At seven years old, don't panic. She could have some hooks & whatnot, nothing a good power float can't fix. In my area, the vets do the denistry as well. There are a couple that have been trained with the power float which I feel is better than a hand float. By the way, the one vet that does NOT powerfloat is rarely used for that task by my horse community.

arrowsaway 03-31-2012 08:16 PM

Since she has never seen a dentist, she will probably have decent hooks that have caused some oral ulcers, and a build-up of tartar as well. She'll have to have her wolf teeth removed also, if indeed she has any.
EDIT: agreed with wares. find an equine dentist with a powerfloat. less time consuming, and gets the job done more accurately. also, nice to keep in mind that even if she does have any ulcers, teeth that need pulled, etc, the mouth heals at an incredible rate! I am sure she'll be fine. :)

dreamster 03-31-2012 08:16 PM

ok, thank you!

corgi 03-31-2012 08:22 PM

My horse had her teeth floated yesterday for the first time in many years. I just bought her and according to the vet, it looked like she hadn't had her teeth done in many years.

After he power floated one side, he had me reach in and feel the difference. (first of all...i had no idea horse teeth go so far back. My arm was in her mouth all the way up to my elbow!!!)

The side he had done was nice and smooth, the other side was very sharp and umeven. I am sure it was hurting her when she ate.

He said that she would be sore after the float for a little longer than normal, just because he had to file down so much. He also said it would take a few days for her to get used to the way her mouth feels now.

She ate last night, just a little slower than normal. I rode her today with a bitless halter and she was fine.

waresbear 03-31-2012 08:51 PM

Corgi, you'll find she'll slick up nicer & maybe gain a bit more weight (whether you want her to or not, lol)

corgi 03-31-2012 08:59 PM

She needs to gain a little more. :)

I could already tell she feels better, even though she is still sore from the floating. I am sure she had been in pain for some time. It may just be my imagination, but she seemed grateful!