The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   When trailering, do you wrap or use shipping boots or au natural? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/when-trailering-do-you-wrap-use-118357/)

With Grace 03-31-2012 08:13 PM

When trailering, do you wrap or use shipping boots or au natural?

I just bought a set of shipping boots, since during the short trip from the barn to the show in Feb caused a couple little nicks on Grace's legs from shoes. I was planning to use them for her (I lease her) and then on my own horse (we're currently shopping). But a friend of mine yesterday said it was a waste of money, that no one really uses them for the short trips I take.

Do you wrap legs or use shipping boots? why or why not?

waresbear 03-31-2012 08:17 PM

I used to, because everyone else did. A pain in the butt. I stopped when I noticed professional haulers don't use them and said there was no need for them.

Duren 03-31-2012 08:20 PM

I use the quick wrap kind. just a few velcro straps. Easy on, easy off. Ill see if I can find an example.

CLaPorte432 03-31-2012 08:21 PM

For a short trip, I wouldn't waste the time wrapping legs. But...If she is getting nicks in her legs while hauling then I probably would.

COWCHICK77 03-31-2012 08:22 PM

I have never had a horse cut himself up in the trailer(knock on wood)...nor have I ever had a problem with stocking up. So I have never had a need for them.

With Grace 03-31-2012 08:23 PM

Ok, yeah my biggest concern was that she didn't trailer before I started leasing her, and her first trip out she got some nicks on her hind legs. The boots I got are the quick padded velcro kind.

equiniphile 03-31-2012 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used to wrap every time without fail, but realized that they really don't do much. Now I wrap for trailering primarily to keep their legs clean while we're trucking through spring mud to the trailer, and for peace of mind. I use these boots, just simple velcro ones:

waresbear 03-31-2012 08:48 PM

^^^^^whenever I used those velco quickies ones, they slipped & the horse ended up stepping on them. Maybe they've improved since then?

equiniphile 03-31-2012 08:50 PM

I do mine tighter than most people, but not tight enough to cause problems. I also think bell boots help, for whatever reason, in keeping them up.

BarrelRacingLvr 04-02-2012 12:04 AM

Yes I ALWAYS wrap legs, but that is how I was raised....take care of your horses legs because without legs you don't have a horse. I don't care if it takes more time for me to wrap then to where we are going I want to have my horses legs wrapped and protected. Some people say it is a waste of time...I would rather take the time needed to keep my horse sound, healthy and happy.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...7/e387f138.jpg