The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Teaching a Horse to back up (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/teaching-horse-back-up-11837/)

Small_Town_Girl 07-18-2008 11:52 AM

Teaching a Horse to back up

I need suggestions on teaching Chava to back up for Western
Pleasure. Do I necessarily need split reins to teach her with?
Suggestions? :)

kitten_Val 07-18-2008 12:17 PM

Starts on ground. Make her back in halter by puling or wiggling the lead rope and if not listening pushing into the shoulder gently. Then try to do the same on ground with the bridle. Then from saddle.

mlkarel2010 07-18-2008 01:30 PM

I second what kitten val says, but I don't see why you would need split reins....

barefoothooves 07-18-2008 02:37 PM

You can use any reins to teach her to back up...I bridge my split reins anyways when I'm training because I use both hands.

Once she's consistent you can practice using one hand to back up, but you will need split leather reins to show in.

hrsrdr 07-19-2008 11:00 AM

Backing

You absolutely do not need any kind of special rein. It is better to start on the ground, and build up to the saddle. To teach my horses to back on the ground, I face the horse, tap the chest-shoulder area with the lead rope and say b-a-a-a-a-a-a-c-k in a low, commanding tone, stepping forward and way crowding the horse until they take a step back. If I am in the saddle, I sit deeply, close my leg, and cluck or say in a deep, commanding voice, b-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-c-k while half-haulting on the reins until they take a step. Always go for one step first, then once you know they've got that concept down, build up until they back as long as you want, moving their diagnal legs in pairs (i.e., front right and left hind move together, then front left and right hind, etc) as they go back.

girl_on_black_pony 07-19-2008 01:26 PM

Re: Backing

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrsrdr
You absolutely do not need any kind of special rein. It is better to start on the ground, and build up to the saddle. To teach my horses to back on the ground, I face the horse, tap the chest-shoulder area with the lead rope and say b-a-a-a-a-a-a-c-k in a low, commanding tone, stepping forward and way crowding the horse until they take a step back. If I am in the saddle, I sit deeply, close my leg, and cluck or say in a deep, commanding voice, b-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-c-k while half-haulting on the reins until they take a step. Always go for one step first, then once you know they've got that concept down, build up until they back as long as you want, moving their diagnal legs in pairs (i.e., front right and left hind move together, then front left and right hind, etc) as they go back.

Right, and soon they will learn to back as you half-halt and sit deep in the saddle so you dant have to use voice commands at the show

Arrow 07-23-2008 02:00 AM

Agreed--start on the ground. I read something interesting on Julie Goodnight's site--we're all used to using our seat to go foward--riding the canter and slowing it down, etc. Well she says to mirror how it feels to back up, too (kind of side to side). Back up on a horse who know's how, think of how you ride it out, then use that seat motion on the horse you're teaching. Can't hurt, anyway.

ditzydoo 07-25-2008 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val
Starts on ground. Make her back in halter by puling or wiggling the lead rope and if not listening pushing into the shoulder gently. Then try to do the same on ground with the bridle. Then from saddle.

^^^ Agreed ^^^
all our horses had been started on the ground then as you progress move in to a bridle then into the saddle with someone still helping you on the ground so you give the aids you want for the back while someone asks from the ground . . . . then try doing it on your own
gud luck

palogal 07-25-2008 08:44 PM

Another vote for "start on the ground"!! I don't see how split reins would be necessary but I'm not a western rider either.

kickshaw 07-26-2008 12:42 AM

just wanted to add that a "pull release method" works better than a straight pull method :D