The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Scared? Nervous? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/scared-nervous-118437/)

horsieluver29 04-01-2012 06:51 PM

Scared? Nervous?

For a while now, I keep getting nervous and scared while riding. Some days I am doing really well and then the next week I'm nervous again. I don't even know what it really is that scares me. Sometimes I think it is the speed of the horse, or the possibility that the horse will spook and I will fall, Sometimes I think it is just the fact that I think I won't be able to control the horse when these things happen. My trainer knows that I'm nervous and shes trying to help me by telling me to do something and she knows nothing will happen. I feel that something will happen so I refuse, and I feel like I am just disappointing her. What should I do to overcome my fear?

MiaSweetVersion 04-01-2012 06:54 PM

My younger sister has the same problem. She would get on the horse and we would get her up to a trot and then the next day she would be back down to be terrified to even get the horse to jog. Now I do not know if this would be best for you personally but we put my horse on a lunge line and stuck my sister up on the horse and made her stay on the horse while she trotted. Eventually she saw that there was nothing to fear. I don't know if this will help you but I'm just offering up my advice. Good luck!

horsieluver29 04-01-2012 06:56 PM

Thanks. But I tried that so many times and I just can't seem to not be nervous some days. Like some days I'd be fine off the lunge to trot and canter. But the next day I'd be to scared to even ask for a trot. But thanks for the advice.:D

MiaSweetVersion 04-01-2012 08:11 PM

Hmm. I honestly do not know what to tell you other than keep trying! I really hope that everything works out for you :)

Madisonluvshorses 04-01-2012 08:13 PM

I have the exact same problem!!!!!!!! It sucks, right?! Just remember that your in charge. It helps. ALOT. Try riding easy horses, too. A horse where you could shoot a gun near its ear and it wouldn't spook. Work your way up to harder horses. Good luck!!!
- Madison🐎
Posted via Mobile Device

horsieluver29 04-01-2012 08:23 PM

Thanks! It's nice to know someone else is like this, not only me. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Madisonluvshorses 04-01-2012 08:47 PM

Guess its just one of those things most riders go through. 😄 do you know why your scared? I was scared because I had a realllllllly bad fall. Broke my wrist so bad I could move it.... Weird right? I've also gotten scared just because of the horse I'm riding. Horses with experience of not exactly liking being ridden. Sometimes I get scared because I just do. Things happen. You just need to remember your in charge, the horse works for you. Have fun riding!!!😄🐎
Posted via Mobile Device

RoosHuman 04-01-2012 08:54 PM

I lost a bunch of confidence after a bad fall. I have scoliosis, and my back took over a month to heal. Not to mention the mild concussion, ;)!! But, since then, I have realized that I love my horse too much and that I have to keep riding. I view it as fun, no pressure, do it because you love it. Now that I am in college and don't compete like I did in high school, I feel so much more relaxed about it. Do it because you love it!

Madisonluvshorses 04-01-2012 08:57 PM

I totally agree with you, RoosHuman. I don't compete either. Is it fun?
Posted via Mobile Device

RoosHuman 04-01-2012 09:01 PM

I used to love it. What I loved the most was showing off my horse. That is a feeling like nothing else. But, it is a lot of pressure on both you and your mount. I am thinking about going to some fun 4H shows this summer, just to play some games and do equitation. Just something for fun.