The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Orphaned Filly...I need help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/orphaned-filly-i-need-help-118450/)

jjtuck 04-01-2012 09:36 PM

Orphaned Filly...I need help!

Last month I addopted an orphaned filly from a feedlot in Nevada. I have been working with her and things are going good; I am able to groom, fly spray,pick up her back feet, and pet her almost everywhere except her head. I cannot for the life of me get a halter on her and it is very frustrating. I feel like I have tried everything but nothing seems to be working.
Do you guys have any tips or suggestions?
Thank you!

oh, I have named her Journie!(:

Skyseternalangel 04-01-2012 09:44 PM

Patience.

Keep allowing her to trust you, make her feel good by finding those spots on your body that you can rub and relieve any pressure or soreness.
My horse loves his withers being rubbed gently, along with his neck at the top. Some foals love the top of their tail (be careful!) and above their hips. Find those spots and get her to relax, slowly (not not too slow that you seem like you're pouncing) work towards her ears, taking your hand casually away before she reacts. Work on lingering there as long as you can before you get a reaction.

Good luck :)

jjtuck 04-01-2012 09:51 PM

She loves getting her booty scratched and under her cheast and will allow me to rub her for a long time, and when I move away she follows and wants more(: As soon as I move my hands anywhere towards her face, she shys back. Is there any techniques to get her comfortable with her face being touched?

jjtuck 04-01-2012 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here she is (:

franknbeans 04-01-2012 10:22 PM

If she likes to be rubbed and scratched, I would work on going a little higher on the neck with the scratches as she will tolerate. Each day go only as high as she is comfortable with. Try and push it a little more every day. I am no trainer, just what makes sense to me.

Courtney 04-01-2012 10:24 PM

If this was my foal, I'd simply sit myself down on the ground and ignore her while I read a book. Let her come to you and make the decision to explore. If you have another horse, bring that horse within the foal's view and let her watch you petting and scratching the horse's head. Feed the horse a treat, let foal watch. Let foal make the connection that human touch = good things.

jjtuck 04-01-2012 10:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
heres some more pictures of her(:

Skyseternalangel 04-01-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1434758)
Patience.

Keep allowing her to trust you, make her feel good by finding those spots on ***her body

My bad, folks, tired Kiwi-newbie here :P

Just a little each day, before she reacts. It helps to start under their neck and move under their chin.. rather than over in my experience. Lower is less threatening.. higher poses a problem (in terms of predators.) Have you tried offering her a treat and slowly lowering it to the floor so her head it lower than yours? If she does this, she trusts you enough to not keep both eyes on you.

Just keep working on it. It'll come slowly but once you get it, it'll stick :)

Celeste 04-01-2012 11:12 PM

Maybe I am mean, but I would get somebody to help me. I would corner her up and forcibly put a halter on her. I think that she really needs to start halter breaking and I doubt that she is going to agree with the idea.

Skyseternalangel 04-01-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celeste (Post 1434876)
Maybe I am mean, but I would get somebody to help me. I would corner her up and forcibly put a halter on her. I think that she really needs to start halter breaking and I doubt that she is going to agree with the idea.

No you definitely aren't mean. The longer she goes without a halter, the harder it will be to halter her.

But she should be able to be okay with having her face touched, and ears, I think. When we had the foal at my work, we put the halter on about 3 weeks later, after she could be touched everywhere, including her legs. We had an advantage since she was born on the property, but with that trust, haltering her wasn't too much of a problem.