The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Vacation curse?? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/vacation-curse-118495/)

Koolio 04-02-2012 11:07 AM

Vacation curse??

I am convinced I am cursed when we go on vacation. Every time we go away something terrible happens.

Last year for spring break, we travelled south to my sisters wedding. The second day we were gone, our house was broken into and many important valuable items were stolen. A neighbour was looking after our horses and our dogs, but the break in occurred during the day when they weren't there. We were grateful however, that our dogs and horses were not harmed and do realize it could have happened just as easily while we were at work.

We went on holidays again last summer. After our spring break in, we didn't want to burden our friends and neighbours with that responsibility so we hauled the horses to a stable and put the dogs in a kennel. The second day we were away we got a call that my daughter's mare cut her foot very badly. Fortunately the woman that owns and runs the stable took extremely good care of her, but she did have to stay on stall rest for an additional three weeks after we got home. We spent the last few days of our holiday at a reunion in an area that is out of cell range. On our way home as soon as well had cell service, both my husband's and my cell phones started to buzz. Not a good sign as nobody has my number except those caring for our animals. As it turns out the dogs got a terrible case of kennel cough and my boxer ended up with pneumonia. Two or three trips to the vet later, they both recovered, but again, holiday stress we didn't need.

So just this last week we travelled out of province to visit family and hired someone to stay in our house while we were away and look after the animals. All went very well except that when we got home, my son's favourite cat wasn't there to greet him. He went down to the hay shed where she usually catches mice and found her laying on the bales in a puddle of urine and unable to walk. It seems one of the horses had stepped on her and broke her back and pelvis. Off we went to the emergency vet (not 30 minutes after arriving home from an 8 hour long drive) and ended up having to put our poor Tabby cat down. My son is devastated and at 11, he is having a hard time understanding why such terrible things happen when we go away. As we were getting out of the truck, he was hesitant and said, "something bad always happens when we leave". I just don't know how to console him especially when it seems he is right...

CLaPorte432 04-02-2012 11:52 AM

893 Attachment(s)
I am very sorry. :-( thats a case of bad luck.

One piece of advice (for everyone)...dont post that your family is going on vacation on facebook, twitter or other social network sites. People will know your gone and youll more likely have a break in.

I do hope your able to help you son/family cope with his loss. Its always hard to lose a beloved pet.

FlyGap 04-02-2012 01:30 PM

28 Attachment(s)
Oh no, that is terrible! Hugs for your son!

We are planning a summer beach vacation with my entire family. We had a friend that we use to house/farm sit but he just got a new job and canceled on us!! OH no, but good for him!

So hub is staying home. There is no way we could leave the farm with the 3 horses, 3 dogs, the chickens, the big garden that will be in full harvest, and everything else. We catch a bunch of heck from our non-farming family, but they sure do appreciate the FREE eggs and FREE processed produce! LOL! Well, somebody has to take care of it all.

I hate leaving my kid/farm with my husband for long amounts of time.
Once I got a frantic call because my daughter got into my art markers and colored her ENTIRE body brown and purple! She was sitting RIGHT next to my husband at my computer desk while he was working! The markers were permanent and she had swirls on her face and solid marked up legs and arms for two weeks! Can you imagine the looks at the grocery store! LOL!

Then I was away and I got a FRANTIC call that a GIANT black snake was attacking the chickens! He ate my prized rooster, yet my husband was too scared of snakes to get in there and shoot it, WITH A ROOSTER SHOVED DOWN IT'S THROAT!!
I hate leaving the house!

Koolio 04-02-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 (Post 1435382)
I am very sorry. :-( thats a case of bad luck.

One piece of advice (for everyone)...dont post that your family is going on vacation on facebook, twitter or other social network sites. People will know your gone and youll more likely have a break in.

I do hope your able to help you son/family cope with his loss. Its always hard to lose a beloved pet.

Thanks. I never let anyone know when we are going away except for those who look after our place. Everything I have posted is after the fact. All of the unfortunate events that have happened while we were away could have just as easily happened when we were home, at work, out shopping or even out for a short walk.

Our run of bad luck just makes it difficult to look forward to or relax on a vacation.

FlyGap - snakes! I am grateful we don' have any here. I know what you mean with it being hard to leave. It is expensive too! After vet bills, pet boarding costs, paying a house- sitter, paying the insurance deductible and installing a security system, we have doubled or tripled the cost of our last three vacations and didn't even go anywhere really great. Unfortunately we also live so far away from family that if we don't go we will never see them.