The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Trainer using horse for lessons... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/trainer-using-horse-lessons-118499/)

djhmanderson 04-02-2012 10:39 AM

Trainer using horse for lessons...

Okay, it's a delicate situation as I am friends with said trainer. I was gifted my horse on February of this year. He has been at this barn with previous owners for over 3 years. The previous owners had been "off-site" owners, not participating in any lessons, etc. Therefore, Trainer had become very used to having horse at her disposal at all times. Horse is a 19 year old sweetheart who is great with young kids (although he is a smart-as-a-whip spitfire!) The gifting of the horse was negotiated through Trainer, as I did not know previous owners. That, in itself, was a disastrous situation as previous owners worded contract to where I was paying for the horse but Trainer had full say in horse's everything. That was changed, as I would not sign.
So when I took Horse, Trainer was very happy that she would still be able to use him (didn't ask me, assumed.) I asked her if there would be any compensation for that, she said no. She uses him alot. I don't mind that she uses him, as I think it's good for him to be out and about. EXCEPT in this situation that occured this weekend. Friday night, my former leaser asked me if she could ride Horse at specific time. I said yes, no problem. She would pay me for it. When I get to barn next day, I asked her why she didn't ride. Apparently she called Trainer and Trainer told her she couldn't use him because she had lessons scheduled on him. Please, I really need some good advice on this. I don't want this to become a bad situation, but that really mad me, ummm....angry to say the least.:evil:

gigem88 04-02-2012 11:15 AM

Is there anything in writing stating the trainer has unlimited usage of your horse? If not, tell her to stop or get a written agreement to the specific times you will allow the horse to be used for lessons. And, I would get compensation as $$ or lessons for you.

djhmanderson 04-02-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigem88 (Post 1435408)
Is there anything in writing stating the trainer has unlimited usage of your horse? If not, tell her to stop or get a written agreement to the specific times you will allow the horse to be used for lessons. And, I would get compensation as $$ or lessons for you.

No, we have no contract in writing concerning her using Horse for lessons. The only contract I have with her is for the full-board. I am so new to the horse world that I don't know what is standard or not. Is it customary to pay someone $$ or lessons for use of your horse? I know if I were to ask that she just wouldn't use him. If it is a practice then how much is fair compensation? Thanks for your help.

Speed Racer 04-02-2012 11:22 AM

Are you willing to move barns? Because I see this happening if you curtail trainer's use of what has essentially been a free lesson horse for the last 3 years.

I agree that he's your horse and you should have the say in who does or doesn't ride him. Don't be surprised if the trainer isn't happy with that pronouncement, and asks you to leave the barn.

If you still think he should be used in the lesson program, draw up a contract stating when, how often, and whether or not you'll be compensated monetarily or by a reduction in board.

kevinshorses 04-02-2012 11:24 AM

If you're going to allow the instructor to use the horse for lessons then you have to let the horse be available for those lessons. The instructor has paying customers too and can't be cancelling a lesson because you want to let someone ride your horse. If you want the horse to be available more then tell the instructor that the horse can only be used for lessons on certain days or between certain hours. Or you can tell the instructor that she can't use the horse anymore and be prepared to lose the friendship of that person.

djhmanderson 04-02-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 1435419)
If you're going to allow the instructor to use the horse for lessons then you have to let the horse be available for those lessons. The instructor has paying customers too and can't be cancelling a lesson because you want to let someone ride your horse. If you want the horse to be available more then tell the instructor that the horse can only be used for lessons on certain days or between certain hours. Or you can tell the instructor that she can't use the horse anymore and be prepared to lose the friendship of that person.

Thank you for your opinion- I agree with you. To a certain extent. Must keep in mind that Trainer has numerous other horses that are her own that she could use for a lesson should my horse not be available.

djhmanderson 04-02-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1435413)
Are you willing to move barns? Because I see this happening if you curtail trainer's use of what has essentially been a free lesson horse for the last 3 years.

I agree that he's your horse and you should have the say in who does or doesn't ride him. Don't be surprised if the trainer isn't happy with that pronouncement, and asks you to leave the barn.

If you still think he should be used in the lesson program, draw up a contract stating when, how often, and whether or not you'll be compensated monetarily or by a reduction in board.

No, I don't really want to move barns as this one is so very convenient. And she's a great trainer for myself and my daughter. I just don't know how to handle this situation. I guess I will just have to ask her for her schedule to see when/how often she is using him. And go from there. But she cost me $ the other day by refusing to let him be used.

Corporal 04-02-2012 11:59 AM

I'm sorry but I believe that you need to figure out what you want. If I was the instructor I think I'd be confused.
A 19yo babysitter (horse) doesn't need a trainer. The trainer is your teacher and you can yank your horse out of the trainer's lesson program anytime your wish bc the horse is now in private hands. However, it doesn't sound like you think the instructor will still give you lessons if that happens. Are you not paying $ for lessons? If sounds as if the lesson payment is partly the use of your horse in other lessons. It ALSO sounds like you are arguing with sound advice above, which you asked for by posting this thread.

crimsonsky 04-02-2012 12:00 PM

imo, bottom line is this. the horse belongs to you = you have final say in how he is used and by whom. if YOU want the horse to be used in lessons, have it agreed to in writing and specify exactly how that's going to go (how many days/hours/rides/whathaveyou, what he can and cannot do, who is responsible for tack/safety/etc.). if it's in writing you shouldn't have any further issues... if the trainer won't agree to that, the easiest way to not have problems is to say "i'm sorry but without something agreed to in black and white, i do not feel comfortable with the legalities of anyone else using my horse".

themacpack 04-02-2012 12:03 PM

Typically, board is reduced in return for the use of horse as a lesson horse - are you paying the full asking price of full-care board? If not, that is your compensation for the use of the horse -- if so, you need simply request that your horse not be used for lessons or that you be given fair consideration (the lower board fees) to compensate for the use of the horse.