The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   "over at the knee" "buck knee" opinions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/over-knee-buck-knee-opinions-118550/)

diat150 04-02-2012 08:00 PM

"over at the knee" "buck knee" opinions

anybody have horses with this problem? any opinions. I am looking at a fox trotter with this issue and not sure what what to think. supposedly there is no lameness, just a conformation issue.

Emerald24 04-02-2012 10:00 PM

Hey There-

I had a Quarab a couple years ago who was "over at the knees." He had no lameness issues whatsoever. He moved beautifully! In fact, I showed him quite often in Half-Arabian Huntseat and he always placed well. He was a great horse!

As for the horse you're looking at, I honestly wouldn't worry about him/her being "over at the knees." That being said, I'd still recommend having a vet check done if you're serious about buying. That goes for any horse you're interested in, though! :wink:

Take care and good luck!

csimkunas6 04-02-2012 10:03 PM

My horse is over at the knee, and from what I have been told majority of TB's are as well. Ive also been told that over at the knee is far better than behind at the knee.

As far as any issues, my horse is only 2yrs old, but Ive ridden, and worked with several horses that were over at the knee, and being over at the knee didnt cause them any issues. Good Luck!

smrobs 04-02-2012 10:08 PM

Of course, the severity of any fault will greatly influence the possible impact it will have on the horse's soundness. Many faults (over at the knee, toed out, toed in, cow hocked, etc) are acceptable if they are mild. Of course, they are nowhere close to ideal, but a horse with a mild form of any of those can have a perfectly functional and productive life with no lameness issues. Being back at the knee, having upright pasterns, or very posty legs are faults that run a high risk of causing lameness at some point.

I guess, long story short, like Csim said, being over at the knee is a heck of a lot better than being back at the knee. I wouldn't turn down a horse that was over at the knee, providing that it wasn't too severe.

diat150 04-04-2012 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a picture of the mare

diat150 04-04-2012 09:51 PM

and a video of the mare

oh vair oh 04-04-2012 09:52 PM

Being over at the knee might be the least of that horse's problems... Is it a rescue?

diat150 04-04-2012 09:55 PM

I dont think so. it looks a little thin in that picture, here is another

http://images.craigslist.org/5Na5F15...5fc3a61c51.jpg

smrobs 04-04-2012 10:42 PM

I agree, her knees don't worry me much at all. Other things worry me more, like why she's so thin (whether she just hasn't been getting enough food or whether she is a very hard keeper) and the length of her back is questionable, though that may be a breed thing, I'm not terribly familiar with gaited breeds.

Annnie31 04-05-2012 08:16 AM

Definately needs some weight put on, her ribs should be covered so you can feel them but not see them. She needs feed although she is not in horrible condition.
Over at the knees is not a problem. She seems to be only slightly over at the knees and as already said, better over than under.