The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   new horse eating problem (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/new-horse-eating-problem-1186/)

Tammy 03-19-2007 09:31 PM

new horse eating problem

My husband just bought a new horse who is a little on the thin side but we have wormed her and started her out on grain and alfa alfa cubes. She isn't up to what she should have yet at a time.But today I noticed her leaving the hay and chewing on twiggs and even pawing the ground eating what looked like to me just dirt. I was just wondering what would make her do this and leave good quailty hay laying??please some suggestions!!

futolympeventer327 03-20-2007 01:45 AM

She might have a mineral imbalance or be needing salt. Give her a free choice iodized salt block in a holder so she doesnt chew it all up at once. Also be careful about introducing new feed to fast it could make her colic especially if she isn't used to good quality food.

kristy 03-20-2007 03:33 AM

How old is she?

Tammy 03-20-2007 09:12 PM

She is a 2 yr old. I did start her out slow with her feed and there is salt out all the time with my horses. I did think maybe she was lacking something just don't know what?! I didn't notice her today doing anything. I did see her eating the hay too. Thought maybe this is what she might of had to do before to get something to eat. She isn't real skinny but does need some weight. I just never seen a horse do that before I'm just kinda puzzled with the whole thing!!

pantha1 03-21-2007 01:41 AM

You could also get the horses teeth checked, and has your horse been wormed.
Good quality hay, lucerne and grains will help to put weight on, you could also try "lupins", or if you can get it "speedi beet", but it must be soaked first. 1 portion to 4 water. this is also great for horses that are dehydrated, or tucked.

good luck