The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Ozbit Campdraft Bit (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/ozbit-campdraft-bit-118608/)

Roll The Dice 04-03-2012 10:59 AM

Ozbit Campdraft Bit

1 Attachment(s)
Would anyone have any advice on attaching this bit properly? Instinct is telling me to hang the large outer circles on the cheek straps and to put the reins in the small gap provided under the inner circle? Is this correct , after turning it around a few times i am now second guessing myself, i dont want to just "wing it"!

Roll The Dice 04-05-2012 03:22 AM

hi, i,ve noticed a few people have looked at this does anybody have an opinion for me?

aspin231 04-07-2012 03:03 AM

Honestly I would call the manufacturer. I've been racking my brain for days, no answer is coming.

PintoTess 04-07-2012 03:05 AM

Wow...it really has me buggered !

aspin231 04-07-2012 03:07 AM

The shape of the mouthpiece is what's messing with my brain. I could kind of make it make sense if the mouthpiece curved the other way, but then again, not really. Google is not helping either.

aspin231 04-07-2012 03:29 AM

Looking at this closer, I would attach the cheekpiece to the largest ring, in the 'v' above the small circle, and the rein to the largest ring, in the 'triangle.'
I'm speculating at best.

tinyliny 04-07-2012 03:49 AM

I've never seen anything like that. I , too, tried to find anything about it on Google, but no luck. Who is the maker? Don't they have a website?

aspin231 04-07-2012 04:26 AM

As far as I can tell, the maker is Ozbit. It works like a full cheek, in a way. It's a bit with slight gag action, and the purpose of the outer ring is to keep it from pulling through the horse's mouth.

mildot 04-07-2012 09:43 AM

It looks like an odd version of a Kimblewick.

I would hang the cheek straps from the small ring and attach the reins to the small wedge shaped opening under the small ring.

The large opening definitely faces forward, otherwise the mouthpiece would be in backwards.

I guess that's how you would get the gag action to work?

aspin231 04-07-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mildot (Post 1442287)
It looks like an odd version of a Kimblewick.

I would hang the cheek straps from the small ring and attach the reins to the small wedge shaped opening under the small ring.

The large opening definitely faces forward, otherwise the mouthpiece would be in backwards.

I guess that's how you would get the gag action to work?

A very odd version of a kimblewick indeed... this is a gag, a kimblewick is a curb.

Attaching the cheekpiece at the same point as the mouthpiece would provide no leverage, thus there would be no gag action- the bit would just twist. The checkpiece must be attached above the mouthpiece, and the reins must be attached below it for there to be leverage- this is true of all leverage bits. It's simple mechanics.